Friday, September 26, 2014

CAMERA CRITTERS, SATURDAY'S CRITTERS, NATURE NOTES, WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY AND BIRD D'POT

I am joining several memes today, and will be linking up with them as they become available.


I am sharing photos of the pair of Red-breasted Geese we saw when visiting London in June.  We were walking through St. James Park.  I looked at their legs and noticed that they were banded.


Red-breasted Geese - Brant ruficollis - are endangered and breed on the tundras of arctic Europe.


I read the following: "They often choose sites close to the nests of birds of prey such as peregrine falcons and snowy owls.  While this might seem a dangerous thing to do, in fact it seems to provide protection from other predators such as arctic foxes."


Also, "In the winter, the birds move south.  Up to 70% of the world's red-breasted geese winter around lakes in north-east Bulgaria, where flocks hundreds of thousands strong to graze....."


"They have moved their feeding grounds here from the former Soviet Union, where changes to agricultural practices, especially the conversion of wheat fields to cotton plantations, spelled disaster.  But new threats face them in their new home....."   

You can read more at this website where I found the above information.

~~~~~~~

I am joining Misty's Camera Critters, Eileen's Saturday's Critters
Michelle's Nature Notes, Anni's  Bird D'Pot and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesdaywith thanks to each for hosting these very enjoyable memes.  Their logos can be found on my side bar.

40 comments:

  1. These geese are beautiful, they almost look painted! I have never seen or heard of them, too bad they are endangered! Your shots are wonderful, showing up their beautiful makings so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are handsome fellows. I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a handsome fellow. Hard to believe it is cold enough for them in London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are such beautiful geeese but as usual for such creatures they are endangered because of man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen them before. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely geese Denise, we do get the odd rare one in England, but I have not been lucky enough to see one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous bird. Sigh on the endangered front. Too many of the beautiful species are - thanks often to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fabulous critters, aren't they??!! WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are new to me! What colorful and interesting geese. Showstoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. On my are they charming.

    Wow! I have never see this color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots- I don't think I have ever seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and really interesting bird! I love the color pattern of the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never seen a goose quote like that! Certainly good-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are sure a stunning looking bird! I had not heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are beautiful indeed! So very different from this side of the Atlantic's geese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rarely do I meet a creature who is completely unknown to me. You have given me that wonderful gift of the new today! Thanks, D

    Excellent shots, and nice facts



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an unusual bird! Beautiful markings and designs on his body.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my what stunning coloring and markings on these adorable creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! You got great shots of this birds. Very beautiful markings. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Birds and photography!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my favourites. Lovely shots Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful geese. Very pretty colours and markings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what stunning looking geese.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely bird. So colorful, I haven't ever seen like this.
    And your header is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Denise, they are beautiful geese. I love their pretty coloring.. Awesome photos.. Thank you for linking up, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful geese...I've never seen that variety before!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The color patterns on the geese are stunning! So artfully designed. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful geese! I remember seeing swans in that Park (I think it was there.) But honestly I think these geese are more beautiful even.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never seen the likes of this gorgeous creature!! It's marked so beautifully!! And your photos are so very impressive Denise.

    Thanks for sharing your link today at I'd Rather B Birdin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are beautiful colours with the striking outlines. They look like they have been painted by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's always depressing to read about another endangered species. I wish more of the world believed the same as Aldo Leopold. These geese are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the photos, and such a beautiful bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. a very beautiful bird. You were very lucky to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What wonderful creatures these geese are! I wonder what God was thinking when He/She created them?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ah ha! So that's what they are! The coloring is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete