Friday, August 22, 2014

TODAY'S FLOWERS #311


A white lotus flower refers to purity of the mind and the spirit.  A red lotus flower refers to compassion and love.  The blue lotus flower refers to the common sense, it uses wisdom and logic to create enlightenment.  The pink lotus flower, as in this photo, represents the history of Buddha and the historical legends of the Buddha.  The purple lotus flower speaks of spirituality and mysticism.  The Gold lotus flower represents all achievement of all enlightenment, especially in the Buddha.  



The lotus has the ability to lie dormant in times of drought and blossom when ideal conditions return to give it life.  Recent research found 1200 year old seeds in China that have germinated when conditions were favorable and they magically appeared and bloomed.  


These are a few things I learned from a little research online. 


I found my lotus at the Norfolk Botanical Garden in the Japanese Garden section.



~~~~~~~~~

Today's Flowers was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli, Jr.




You can find beautiful flowers from around the world if you click here.

TF teamPupo - Sandy Carlson - Denise

If anyone would like to be a guest and share photos on our home page, details can be found at the top of Today's Flowers web site, which you will find here.

31 comments:

Indrani said...

Great captures. I like the details you have captured. The flower looks beautiful in every stage.

Elephant's Child said...

A beautiful thing - which took me back in time to a trip on a lake in Nepal where a village girl presented me with a lotus bloom.
Thanks Denise.

LonettA said...

Absolutely brilliant photos! Wonderful colours and details!

Valerie said...

Fabulous pictures and another interesting piece of information. I think I'll go with the white lotus... for purity of mind and spirit.

diane b said...

Beautiful photos of a an interesting flower. It looks so delicate but tough. The info is interesting especially the Chinese seeds.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Amazing flowers. I love the seed heads. Have a great weekend!

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Beautiful shots Denise.....my favourite is the last one....seed heads are fascinating!
Thanks for sharing and hosting.

Have a wonderful week,
Ruby

lotusleaf said...

Beautiful shots and interesting info. The lotus is also te national flower of India. It is a special flower for Hindus too, because Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth sits in it!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I love the lotus pond at the National Arboretum. Beautiful flower in your photo.

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous lotus flowers, Denise. The images are beautiful. Have a happy weekend!

Linda Kay said...

Nice job of picking up the details on this flower. So lovely.

Carver said...

Beautiful flowers and I liked the narrative information.

Mama Zen said...

Beautiful captures!

TexWisGirl said...

they are lovely.

William Kendall said...

That is a gorgeous garden.

Sandra said...

and every single one of these gorgeous photos speaks of your great skills with your camera. awesome photos

gigihawaii said...

Lovely photos of the flowers, birds, and skies.

Kay said...

I do love lotus and you've captured their loveliness so beautifully, Denise.

Marie said...

Beautiful!

Birgitta said...

Fabulous pictures!

Jan said...

Great shots, Denise. I love the first one!

Ginny said...

I never knew all these facts about lotus. Your pictures are really stunning, showing every facet of the beautiful lotus!!

Stephanie said...

My goodness that is a gorgeous flower.

Felicia said...

I love how the middle is roundish square. This is different than a water lily isn't it.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful flowers and I love the research. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a lotus flower. My loss.

Cath HC Photographie said...

Magnifique post! superbe.
Have a nice day- Cath.

Roy Norris said...

What a beautiful flower Denise.

Mascha said...

Beautiful!
Lotus is a fascinating flower (I know it only dry, for floristik works)
Have a great new week :-)

colleen said...

Wow. This gives me chills!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That Botanical Garden is simply an amazing place and your lotus shots are wonderful. ( I assume your beautiful header shot is also from there). I learned so much by reading this post ...

someone once told me that a person should learn one brand new thing every day. I've just caught up on two of your posts and I'm already ahead by weeks, even if I don't learn anything new in the next many days!

(I really do appreciate the research you do to go along with your remarkable pics.... thank you for both.)

I will be back to TF one of these days; as we are on our last leg of travel and eventually will get back to normal.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Denise what a stunning flower and so different from my native lotus or water lilies. I adore the seed heads especially.