Friday, August 1, 2014

TODAY'S FLOWERS #308

The other day I took a trip to my favorite nursery, Merrifield Garden Center at this link if you want to check it out.  We are going to plant the Black-eyed Susans in our garden and we needed to replenish our mixing soil and fertilizer. 


They have been on the deck since we bought them a few days ago.  I have enjoyed looking at them through the patio door.



I always love to go to the nursery but get easily distracted with all the other flowers.....


such as this Blanket Flower....


the pink.....


and the white Coneflowers.  It was interesting, the Bees and the Skippers kept away from the white and seemed to be more attracted to the pink in the box next to it.  Coincidence?  Maybe!  I don't really know enough about such things.


The Skippers liked the Lantana though.....


and the Bees the sunflowers.  This one was motionless, almost as if it was sleeping.


I loved the Sunflowers.....



and the Rudbekia was very striking.
 

I also enjoyed looking at the ornamental features.





It was time to get the mixing soil and the fertilizer but I had to stop by the gift shop area, to see what other goodies were for sale.







It speaks to me and yes I am hankering.  I would put it next to the Black-eyed Susan's.





 I took note of the Bird Feeder and thought it would look very nice on the deck, but then that's for another time, hankering but not buying. 


Today it was just the mixing soil and fertilizer.  Not too exciting but the Black-eyed Susans will love us for it.  The heat looked like it was getting to it just a little bit.
 



~~~~~~~~~

Today's Flowers was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli, Jr.


You can find beautiful flowers from around the world if you click here.

TF teamPupo - Sandy Carlson - Denise

If anyone would like to be a guest and share photos on our home page, details can be found at the top of Today's Flowers web site, which you will find here.


I am also linking up with Laura's I Heart Macro here

Shine the Divine

Your lovely meme encourages me to practice my with my macro lens Laura, thank you so much for hosting.

36 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so very pretty. they make it tempting to buy, don't they?

Stephanie said...

I love going to gardening centers too. Love the Black Eye Susan plant. I could not find them in seeds in the spring. Hope to find some soon to store away for next year. Beautiful images of all the flowers and gift items in the store.

Adam said...

great flowers

Michelle said...

I love the cottage ornamental. I need one!

Indrani said...

Beautiful display!
Lovely bright colors, felt like picking them up.

Cloudia said...

Hooray!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Susan (ABON) said...

Beautiful blooms. It's hard to walk away from the garden center with only one plant...I usually leave with 2, 3, or 4. I need to STOP because I'm running out of room! Have a great weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

Gorgeous.
I try and stay away from Garden Centres. No (nada, zip) will power.

Ginny said...

I have read that some flying bugs go to the most colorful flower, it attracts them. So white would not be a stop. Everything is so beautiful!!! I love the blanket flowers and your bumble bee, WOW, you must have been right on top of him!!!

ladyfi said...

WHat gorgeous and cheerful shots!

diane b said...

A bright and colourful post giving me warm vibes while I wait for summer to return. Super flowers and photos.

Linda said...

I like to browse in a garden centre and take note even if I only purchase one or two plants or gardening items. Interesting observation about the white flowers as I would go for them, but the brighter ones are very cheerful too. Love your header and your choice of plant. It looks as if you're enjoying the sunshine too.

Mimsie said...

What a wonderful garden centre to be sure. I'd dare not look at the gift shop as there are so many things I'd hanker after.
Love the lazy susan and I must see if we have them in Oz. Everything yellow catches my eye and there are so many beauties in this post.
Is that a bumble bee? We don't have them here in Western Australia. I saw one once when in New Zealand and was fascinated by it and it's lovely buzzing sound.
Thanks once again for sharing some magic with us.

Arija said...

Wow, so much beauty and a super shot of the bee as bonus!

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Glorious blooms Denise....
Thanks for sharing your visit.
Love the bee!

Happy weekend,
Ruby

Carver said...

Wonderful mix of beautiful flowers and I love seeing the bee on one of the flower shots. I'd be tempted by the other items for sale too.

Blackberry Lane said...

Your photos are extraordinary. Here in Georgia, Lantana grows very well. They like the hard clay soil and hot sun!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, lovely flowers and images.. The Black-eyed Susans are one of my favorites.. I love all teh pretty yard ornaments and the bird feeder looks awesome.. Have a happy Saturday!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I love Merrifield Gardens. My yard is full of their plants. I am especially fond of the flowers in the Daisy family...Echinacea, Gallardia, Coreopsis...etc. the hold up beautifully through the dry months of summer and the birds and bees love them. We use the original store off Gallows.

Sandra said...

the earth does laugh in flowers. i like that rock sign. the pot you have on your desk is gorgeous.. i might have to leave it there to see out the door... what a super nursery you have.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful flowers, and I do like those ornaments!

Terri @ Backward B Ranch said...

Oh look at all the gorgeous flowers! I'd be hankering to buy one of each..if I had a green thumb..which I don't. sigh. The garden decor is cute- I like the owls. Have a great weekend!

maryaustria said...

Such wonderful flowers! Love all the colors! The bee-photo is so great!

Marie said...

Gorgeous nursery showing so many lovely flowers! And I love the black-eyed susans you have waiting to be planted!

Felicia said...

Don't you just wish you could buy one of each. Hope your black eyed susans grow hugemongous lol

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful summer flowers; hard to resist at a a great nursery!!

Sandy Carlson said...

Thanks for sharing the joy you find in flowers.

Karen said...

Oh I love garden centres! Lovely shots Denise. I would have bought that "Plant smiles" sign.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful flowers and insects!

NatureFootstep said...

a great time for gorgeous flowers it seems. :) And lots of cool stuff to buy. :)

gigihawaii said...

Such pretty flowers and garden ornaments. I also enjoyed looking at your photos of the baby bird.

Birgitta said...

What a wonderful photo series!

Roy Norris said...

Lovely colours on those flowers Denise.

pattisjarrett said...

I may have to buy some Black-eyed Susans, ours aren't doing very well this year. I wonder if we lost some with the colder-than-normal winter. I enjoy seeing all the gardening accessories.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Denise you showed many of the flowers I love that are blooming here too...I am sharing a rather long post of my flowers now and last month....

Laura said...

I too am easily distracted at the garden center:-) Beautiful abundance of blossoms Denise!