Tuesday, August 26, 2014

NATURE NOTES

Another caterpillar found at The Norfolk Botanical Garden in the southern part of Virginia.


This is a White Woolly Caterpillar.  It will eventually turn into a Virginian Tiger Moth.  


Spilosoma virginica


To see various stages you can visit this link.


Or here to show you what he looks like as a moth.  He is quite an extraordinary looking thing.


I have a lady to thank for spotting this one.  While sitting on a bench along a walking path, looking out over the water, she and her husband came by and she immediately spotted it in the undergrowth.  I wandered over to see what she had found and we had a chat.  She had no idea what it was and neither did I but like me, she said she would do a search in her bug guide when she got home.

Added note: I wouldn't be surprised that as fluffy as this pretty little caterpillar looks, it makes up for its lack of camouflage by having a prickly and irritating 'coat' to ward of preditors.

~~~~~~~~~

I am always happy when I find something I can share at  Michelle's Nature Notes Thanks for hosting such a fun meme Michelle.


24 comments:

Cloudia said...

those are wonderful captures, D





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Karen S. said...

Nature at its best!

Willow said...

What great shots of this beautiful caterpillar !

Ginny said...

It is perfectly snow white. In the first pictures, it looks almost like a feather. This would not camouflage unless it was in Alaska!

Valerie said...

At first I thought it was a feather. You do have some finds, Denise... thank goodness you share them otherwise I would never know about these things.

Elephant's Child said...

Gorgeous. And it looks so soft and fluffy. And I wouldn't be at all surprised that touching it could lead to a ferocious itch. At least.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Tiger moth, it is very pretty and looks almost cuddly but bet is not! Great shots. Have a good day Diane.

Maria Gagliano said...

What a soft beauty Maria’s Space

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

So lovely Denise - another beautiful mystery of nature

HOOTIN ANNI said...

...at first glimpse I thought it was a white feather....wow. What an interesting subject Denise.

TexWisGirl said...

what a beauty! in both forms!

EG CameraGirl said...

So fuzzy and such a pristine white!

Linda Kay said...

Now that is such a lovely looking caterpillar that one can see how a beautiful moth might emerge. Some of the worms are so ugly it's hard to imagine.

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

Great find, and I appreciate that you've researched the stuff of my continuing, and most enjoyable, education here!

Adam said...

such a unique one

Felicia said...

he is so fluffy and pretty but I don't usually touch them as some can sting.

great images Denise.

William Kendall said...

It is pretty!

Karen said...

Terrific shots of this fuzzy wuzzy!

Rambling Woods said...

Happy to have you in Nature Notes Denise. Cute little fuzzy cat..I love to find them and take photos..Michelle

eileeninmd said...

Denise, what a pretty white caterpillar! It is fluffy! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day!

Stephanie said...

So beautifully fuzzy and white.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I'm sure a bird would find him a sip key meal.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I have only spotted one of these once...fascinating and I almost walked right by it.

SeagullSuzie said...

How beautiful, I would have thought it was the flower head of a grass if I had been sitting there.