Sunday, August 31, 2014

i Heart Macro

I have another caterpillar to share this week.  It will turn into the Monarch Butterfly.


This caterpillar is partial to the milkweed plant.  Milkweed contains a bitter chemical known as an alkaloid that keeps most insects from eating it, but which Monarch caterpillars just love.  Consequently, Monarch caterpillars and adult butterflies contain the same alkaloid, and this is great for them because other predictors, most of them anyway, will find them too bitter to eat.  This explains why Monarch caterpillars, instead of being camouflaged, are boldly marked.  Even with their brightly colored 'coat', it announces to all would-be diners you can't eat me, I'm dangerous and I taste horrible.



I am linking up with Laura's I Heart Macro here

Shine the Divine

Thank you for hosting this great meme Laura.