Monday, August 25, 2014

Food Post - A Very Easy Cheese Danish


A while ago mid week we had a nice surprise, our son called to say he was heading over.  I asked him to come for breakfast but as I hadn't done my grocery shopping yet, I was a little low on supplies.  It didn't take me long to remember I had three Bacon, Cheddar and Scallion Scones in the freezer and I had a feeling he would enjoy those.  As the Danish recipe was one of those fast and easy to prepare ones, I was happy that I at least had those ingredients handy. 

Easy Cheese Danish found here

2 cans ready-to-use refrigerated crescent rolls
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white

Glaze:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Lay a pack of crescent rolls in the pan and pinch the openings together.  

Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg together until smooth.  Spread the mixture over the crescent rolls evenly and then lay the second pack of crescent rolls on top of the cheese mixture and brush with egg white. 

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.  

You can mix the glaze ingredients after taking the Cheese Danish out of the oven.  Cool the danish for 20 minutes and then pour the glaze over the top.  


What did we think of this recipe?   Extremely and over the top yummy!  It was a big hit and so was the rest of breakfast.  Particular pleasing as I was wondering what on earth I had in the fridge and the pantry to serve for a spur of the moment breakfast.  

The pastry I placed over the top tore a little bit and I had to do some patchwork, but it didn't detract from the look after cooking and the icing was finally drizzled on the top.  

It cooked faster than I expected and the top was real brown.  No big deal as it didn't detract from that incredible taste.  

Normally I would add some fruit but the strawberries and blueberries were gone and I had eaten my last banana the day before.  Fruit would be a wonderful addition on the side.

This is a very easy and delicious breakfast/dessert.  Definitely something I will be serving up for the next time we have company.

It had more carbohydrates than I would normally serve in one meal, with the addition of the scones, and I would serve a more rounded breakfast, with a side dish of a variety of fruit for instance.  But, it wasn't bad for a spur of the moment breakfast.  Smiles all round and nothing was left on their plates.