Monday, August 11, 2014

Food Post - Mushroom Soup without Cream



Each Monday I will try to share a recipe I have made.  I found this one here at Allrecipes.  Even in the height of summer we enjoy the occasional soup.  

Mushroom Soup without Cream - makes 8 one cup servings

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ready in 1 hour



Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup sliced leeks (optional)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 lbs. sliced fresh brown or white mushrooms
6 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped green onions, for garnish

Directions:

Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat.  Add carrots, onions, leeks and celery.  Cook and stir until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.  

Stir in thyme and mushrooms.  Continue cooking until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.

Pour chicken stock into the pot and season with salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and serve with green onions sprinkled on top.

Footnotes:

If you do not use leeks, increase the amount of the other vegetables, or add your favorites.  Dried thyme may be used in place of the fresh.  Add your favorite herbs in place of the thyme.

For a smoother texture you can puree the soup after it has simmered the final 30 minutes.  I prefer to serve it as is.

Prepare some wild rice according to package directions and add to soup during the final 10 minutes of cooking, or after the soup has been pureed.

~~~~~~

What did we think?  

First of all the house smells incredible while the soup is cooking, and for a long time afterwards.  It makes for a wonderful welcome home.

If you can get the leeks definitely add them.  

I doubled the recipe as we love soup and enjoy eating it for a couple of days or so, and then freeze for future meals if there is any left.

I used the white button mushrooms.

If you want to turn this into a vegan/vegetarian meal you can use olive oil to cook the veggies initially, and substitute vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. 

I like mushroom soup but the only kind I have ever tried had cream added.  The broth in this soup didn't need cream, it was outstanding and the best mushroom soup I have made so far.  I wouldn't change a thing.

I did not puree the soup as I prefer it as is, but if you have fussy eaters, pureeing might make life a little easier at the same time getting loved ones to eat good nutritional food.  Also it would be a good way to feed toddlers who hopefully like the taste but can't handle the chopped veggies.  I would however check with a professional depending on a child's dietary needs.

I also didn't want to make a trip up to the store just to buy wild rice. I used white rice instead as I had a small amount left in the packet. It was excellent and even though I said I wouldn't change a thing, I may try the wild rice next time or even brown rice.

In addition to using the sliced green onions for garnish, we also added a sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese.

Definitely looking forward to making this again.  


29 comments:

Ginny said...

It looks so good, and it is easy and healthy!! They are finding more and more that mushrooms have more good thing in them.

Betsy Adams said...

Sounds excellent, Denise. I love hearty soups ---and it's really healthy too.... I may have to try this one!!! Thanks.
Hugs
Betsy

Elephant's Child said...

That does sound good. My partner believes that mushrooms are poison, but I love them. It is winter here at the moment, and I will try this recipe shortly.

SweetMarie said...

I Love your header! The red flower is so gorgeous! I love soup, but not mushrooms. LOL

Cloudia said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Good!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

eileeninmd said...

Denise, it looks delicious. Healthy too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a happy day!

Linda Gross said...

I have had mushroom soup only with cream as well. This recipe looks like a keeper. Your food photographs are so good I can almost smell the soup!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Love mushroom and the fact that this is not cream based id a nice bonus. thanks for sharing Denise.

Indrani said...

The pictures are yummilicious!!!
I will try this soon.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Oh I will be trying this as mushrooms are so healthy for you!!

Blackberry Lane said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am lactose intolerant and it's hard to find a good broth soup recipe.

Linda Kay said...

I'm quite sure the mushroom lovers would love the soup, but you lost me on that first ingredient of mushrooms! I'll stick with the veggie soup, no mushrooms.

Karen said...

Oh that looks yummy!

William Kendall said...

It does look delicious!

Karen S. said...

I gee, you have my tummy speaking far too loud! Yummy for sure. I never cook without onions and leeks are even better! Especially if I'm trying a new dish, if there are leeks in it, my family always says it's delicious. It's got to have lots to do with leeks!

Rhodesia said...

Mmmmmm I will be giving this a try, we also love soup and this does look very good. Have a good day Diane

Gail Dixon said...

I am starting a recipe file in Evernote and this is going in there! Thank you so much. It looks absolutely delicious and healthy!

Marie said...

Mmmmm....looks so good!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Looks delicious. Do you ship?

gigihawaii said...

That looks great! And it has no cholesterol since you did not add cream.

Debbie said...

i will have to try this soup, cream of mushroom is my favorite but this would be a much healthier option!!

i really enjoy these food posts, you add so many details and so much information. i really appreciate it!!!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for that recipe. I was wondering what I was going to make for supper tonight. This one fits the bill.

Carver said...

That looks delicious.

Adam said...

nice soup

Jeanne said...

Oh that looks yummy. I will definitely try that with my home made frozen chicken stock. I like that it's not creamy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Yumm. We eat soup often, even in Florida (where it is warm in the middle of winter). Not a camping recipe, but I'll try this when we get back home.

Rose said...

This sounds delicious...I LOVE soups.

Stephanie said...

I come back to tell you that I made this soup for supper. It was delicious and my husband said it is a keeper. Thanks again for the recipe!

Kay said...

This looks really tasty. I wish you lived next door so I could sample some.