Monday, August 4, 2014

Food Post - Healthy Eggroll in a Bowl


A lot of times, especially in the summer months, Gregg and I will eat simple meals that can be prepared quickly. We both enjoy salads and they are easy to throw together, but also we may have a good old fashioned Ploughman's.  It is a very popular pub food in the UK, and the first time I had one was over there many years ago.  For those of you who don't know what a Ploughman's is, The Kitchn does a very good one which you can find at this link. The only thing I would add is a tomato cut into six pieces, as in this photo which I got offline. It is pretty close to the ingredients I use in my version, but I would slice smaller pieces, almost slivers of cheese, with maybe an additional two varieties.  The only thing missing is a small pot of butter and the bread is an important part so buy your favorite crusty bread or rolls.  Sometimes the simplest meals are the best.


However, and at the risk of repeating myself, when we have a hankering for something different and as we both enjoy Asian food, I will go on a search for a recipe that I know we will both enjoy.  I have shared a lot of those on this blog.  Usually I pick out several and we will go over the ingredients and choose one, putting the others aside for another time.  We are lucky, we have several Asian food markets in our area, and they are always fun to browse around.  And as we have an ethnically diverse population, a lot of the ingredients we can buy at our local supermarket. 

I found this recipe here at a blog called "Mostly Homemade Mom". We like it so much we have made it an additional two times since this first meal, the second time modifying it more to suit our own tastes, which I will tell you about at the end of this post.  I am starting out with the original recipe.




Healthy Eggroll in a Bowl

1 lb. ground country sausage
1 bag fresh coleslaw mix with shredded cabbage and carrots
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger
Sliced green onion

In a large, deep skillet, brown the sausage.  Meanwhile in a small bowl combine garlic, soy sauce and ginger; set aside.  

Once the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink, add the fresh coleslaw mix to the skillet and stir to combine.  

Pour soy sauce mixture into the skillet and stir, continuing to cook over medium heat for five minutes, or until the cabbage is wilted but still a bit crunchy.  

Serve with sliced green onion.

~~~~~

I loved the fact that this was a fast, simple and nutritious meal.  It was on the table from start to finish in 20 minutes.

The brand of sausage we bought was too salty for my taste.  Gregg enjoyed it but even he admitted after making our second version, that it was a lot less salty and more to his liking.  He added his favorite hot sauce to his portion, which I rarely ever put on mine.

There were leftovers and after we finished those we realized that we wanted to make it again, but this time trying it with a mixture of ground pork and turkey.  Either of these meats can be used on their own.  

And yes we loved it so much we made it yet again only this time with Tofu which I crisped up a bit in a small amount of peanut oil.  Have to say, that version was my favorite and even my non-tofu lover enjoyed it this way.  In fact, I think from now on we will use the Tofu as I am trying to add more meatless dishes into our weekly menu.

Instead of using fresh ginger I put in a teaspoon of powdered.  Only because I had forgotten to put the fresh on my list and just left it that way for the other meals.  I will be trying the fresh next time.

To the coleslaw mix we also added extra vegetables, sliced celery and mushrooms, sliced bamboo shoots, beansprouts and sweet basil leaves.   There were even more leftovers which we enjoyed eating for a few days.  

This is a fun recipe to play with but most of all it is healthy and nutritious.

20 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Yummo. The tofu-version for me - but it sounds good. Particularly with the additional vegies. Thank you.

Ginny said...

It looks delicious! And so much healthier...no actual deep fried roll to stuff it in!!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Thanks Denise! healthy and, delicious is just what I need!
Now I'm off to catch up on a few of your recent posts as I haven't been around blogland much of late.
Enjoy the new week :)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A REAL ploughman's was as follows:
a crust of home-made bread, a hunk of hard cheese, an onion and perhaps an apple for 'afters' - all eaten off the back of a pocket-knife. As an accompaniment we would suggest a bottle of cold, sweet, unmilked tea. Yours looks more appetising!

Sandra said...

the photo of it is really beautiful and this is easy and something I the non cook can do and would love to eat.

Valerie said...

I wish Joe wasn't so fussy about food. If anything has a sauce or veggies he's not sure about or anything with rice, he turns up his nose. Yet I love sampling things that I've never tried before. I'm thinking of getting him a live in cook while I go off to explore the restaurants.

Adam said...

looks good

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I am trying more gluten free versions of the stir fry meals. It took me years to get David interested in Asian food. I seldom buy ingredients from the local Asian stores, preferring to purchase gluten free items online from Amazon, like oyster sauce, or make my own, like Hoisin sauce. Giant carries many gluten free items too.

Gail Dixon said...

This is SO going into my recipe file!! Thank you! My husband will love this. I'm glad you tried it with the turkey because that seems like a healthier option.

Rhodesia said...

Have saved this it sounds delicious and so quick. The cabbage will be ready in the garden soon so lots of coleslaw :-) Keep well Diane

An Historical Lady said...

I had a bag of shrimp thawed out for tonight and no idea what to make since I am falling down tired from cleaning today.
Am totally making this tonight except with shrimp instead of sausage, and adding the mushrooms and celery I have, along with some bean sprouts hubby is picking up!
Thanks!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's great to live in an ethnically diverse neighbourhood. Your ploughman's sounds tasty!

gigihawaii said...

It does sound delicious as well as nutritious!

William Kendall said...

It does sound tasty!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, your healthy eggroll in a bowl looks delicious.. I would love to try this.. Thanks for sharing, have a great evening!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Yum!!!! Love how easy this is and all the different ways you have prepared it. Thanks for sharing! xo Karen

Stephanie said...

Looks yummy! I am sure I could use Chicken instead of sausage?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Catching up a bit on blog reading, Denise. Saw this recipe after earing lunch at a Chinese restaurant and having an eggroll too! This sounds like a great recipe for us to try and so next week it will be on our dinner plan...thanks for the post and extra info.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I love ploughmans with no bread and this recipe of the healthy eggroll is a must try

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Sounds so good -- and I can even make this in our camper van kitchen. Can and will. Just what I needed ! Thanks.