Tuesday, July 1, 2014

We are back from Europe!

For the last month those busy times I mentioned have been a month long trip to Europe.  At first we were in France, landing in Paris.  This is the first time I have been in this beautiful and exciting city.  

 (Even on a non-sunny day, this scene was amazing.  Photo was taken from the rooftop of our hotel).


From Paris we drove to Normandy to be with my Father-in-Law when he attended the 70th D-Day Commemorations.  There were 19 family members and friends with us.  An incredible event I felt very honored to be part of.  

(This is the house in Normandy that we rented, from an English couple who live in the area.  Truly, one of the nicest couples we have ever met.  Their generosity of spirit towards my Father-in-law, to all of us really, was incredible.  More of which I will tell you about in another post.)


(Gregg and I with Big Ben behind us.  Thank you Celia for taking such a nice photo of us.)



From Normandy we headed to London. We had already said our goodbyes to our son and daughter-in-law in Normandy but Gregg and I, along with my in-laws and one of Gregg's cousins from North Dakota and her family, caught the train to London where we had a great time seeing the sights. We eventually said our goodbyes to them but Gregg, along with my In-laws and I, continued our journey down to Devon.  I was very happy to show them the area I lived in when I met Gregg all those years ago.  It was so very enjoyable for me and for them, and we were able to spend the evening with some very dear old friends of ours.  

(This thatched cottage is in the village of Cockington, near my home town.)


From England we flew to Norway where we were able to find the churches my Father-in-Law's family attended five generations ago.  He is fourth generation American-Norwegian and very proud of his Norwegian roots. We met many wonderful people all throughout our trip, which included (in Norway) a very sweet town historian and a retired minister who gave us an exciting history of one of the churches, and made it come alive to all of us.  

(This photo was taken at the Norwegian Folk Museum.  We enjoyed it so much we visited again, and would have a third if time allowed.)

Yesterday morning we woke up in our hotel in Oslo, and last night we put our heads down on our very own pillows, in our very own beds.  No matter how far we travel, how tremendous a time we had, we all agreed how marvelous it was to be in our own beds last night, and back home.  Over the next few weeks, maybe several, I will be sharing stories and photos of our trip.  In the meantime here are a few to start off with.

32 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I would have loved to traveled in your footsteps...loved the things you have shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to say I love the house you stayed in and the thatched cottage...but also wanted to tell you I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you truly need to tell folks about your f-i-l being chosen to be featured by brian williams in the nbc report. it was a special honor - for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Denise. What an amazing experience for you and your family. Looking foward to seeing the pictures, especially of the Normandy event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are back! What an amazing time. How special that your father-in-law was recognized in such an awesome way. A friend of mine has two sisters living in Norway...they are the nicest people! Look forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A whirlwind trip. I did many of those in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Saw your comment on GG's blog.

    Yes, it's good to be home. I traveled so much a few years ago, I wore out. I might have one more over sease trip left in me, but so far nothing is calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out my daughter's blog. She is recounting her trip out west. Heart Tugs and Soul Musings. Wordpress address. The link is on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to more photos, Denise. How nice to be able to see your old neighborhood in England. As I have already been to London and Paris, I would love to see Norway. It's on my bucket list. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful. Thank you for taking us along - and I am really looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a super exciting month! I can't wait to see more of your photos; the ones you posted today are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great photos (as always) and your whirlwind trip will have lots more that I hope you'll share here. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds (and looks) as though you had a really memorable time. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! I love that cottage with the stone wall and the old gate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a wonderful trip with so many family and history things involved. I am looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome home -- what an amazing trip!! Looking forward to the rest of the story" ... this was a wonderful start for it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. welcome back glad you had a wonderful time. looking forward to more photos, what you shared already are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful experience. I loved that you share the photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO delighted that you and esp your Dad in law were part of these great events that are still echoing. We were SO touched to watch it, to think of it. The title of my post from that day says it all: We are Here Because of D-Day


    http://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2014/06/we-are-here-because-of-d-day-june-6-1944.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. You certainly experienced a lifetime trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can tell you had a wonderful experience from this first post about your trip away. I'm looking forward to
    hearing more. Glad you met up with old friends and made new ones along the way in each country you visited as well as seeing memorable sights. Love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Denise. Oh my, I loved these photographs. I have similar ones at home of Paris but that's because Joe was there. I imagine your father in law loved every minute of his holiday.

    Hmm I don't recall you waving to me when you landed on English soil... grins.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a wonderful background to the trip and an honour! I drank up all the photos Denise - a truly special and wonderful trip. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Certainly agree with you on the pleasure of sleeping in your own bed after being away for a while Denise. Look forward to all the holiday snaps and tales of daily happenings when you find tHe time and energy to put them on the blog
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - what a trip! Very envious about Norway....I'd absolutely love to go there. Looking forward to lots of fjord pics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an awesome trip, especially for your FIL! The photos are awesome, wonderful memories for you and your family.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi. Denise. Wonderful trip you have just had although it is good to have you back. that is a magnificent sight from your bedroom and that cottage looks very quaint.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for all your wonderful comments and welcome home greetings. I have enjoyed once again visiting everyone.

    Sallie at FullTime Life, I have tried to leave a message on your blog today, but it just won't let me. I will keep trying and let you know on another blog post somewhere if I don't succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so excited to hear all about your trip !!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looking forward to hearing more about our Rambles on this side of the Atlantic. From what I've read already I know it's going to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photos...I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your travels. It's neat that you got to go with someone who experienced D-Day...it must have been an emotional journey with that added dimension. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful shots, Denise! I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I suspect that many parts of the towns in Devon looked quite different to you now Denise.

    ReplyDelete