Sunday, July 13, 2014

A favorite poem....

One of the sweetest sights for me is a child being introduced to nature, in a way that makes it a fun outing for both child and parent and I see many parents doing exactly that when we visit this place.  We came across one such family on Saturday.  I will be resuming our holiday photos shortly but wanted very much to share their photo, and the poem.  It looked as though that sweet little girl had just learned how to run, and what fun it was to see her joy and that of her mother.  Daddy was already several steps ahead with the family dog but he soon turned around with a big smile, waiting for his little girl to catch up.  They were heading into the park and we were on our way back to our car, and it had been another great walk at Huntley Meadows.


When I Am Among the Trees
by 
Mary Oliver

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
   but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

29 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem. I haven't heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Denise, I love this poem. And the family shot is sweet. Thanks for sharing! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's enjoying herself, you can see that in her step...on a mission.
    A beautiful poem Denise, it's my fist introduction to it.
    A beautiful and serene park to enjoy.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the poem, love walking in the forest and that is a delightful photo of that child and parent walking up the path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poem - and place. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful a poem, photo, sentiment!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good poem, I especially love the last verse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that poem Denise and it really is a joy to see people introducing they littles" to nature. Brings joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking with a mission into a wonderful life ahead! Wonderful happy capture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful photo of the little family and their dog and what an enchanting place to be walking in. I simply love trees and that poem I think says it all.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poem!~ Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful post, Denise. I love the way the little girl is striding out as if she's trying to catch up with Dad. I like the poems too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful picture and story to go with it. The poem is lovely too. It looks a great place for a walk.
    Just love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow......that poem gives me goose bumps! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great poem and I love the photo of the child running along the pathway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i can see joy in her run and the poem is beautiful and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post and photo ! I love nature it is my calm my serenity . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful just like your photos. :) Hope all is great with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful that we preserved these green spots for our children. None of them existed around the DC area until the 1930s you can tell from the age of these trees that this is a very young place. Mostly dismal farmland until then.

    I took my kids, and Girl Scout troops to various places on camping trips. Several more green spaces have been created since those days.

    Prince William Forest was non-existent until the 1930s. Three broken down farms were combined to make this forest. Look in the right places and you can/could find the family cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfection and bliss...I remember when I was introduced to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Denise, I love that fragment that says 'to go easy'....I am a sentimental old fool today, but it brings tears to my eyes. Don't know why. Maybe it is the whole of the poem, but those three words say so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A love for nature is a great legacy to leave. Sweet photo and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet shot! I do love that Mary Oliver poem.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A nice pairing presented with a visual and words, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The photo goes so well with Mary Oliver's poem. Her poetry always captures the simple complexity of our lives in Nature.

    ReplyDelete