Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It is my birthday.

It is my birthday today.  Son and Daughter-in-Law are coming over and we are all going out for my birthday meal.  Not sure what will come afterwards but I know I am going to enjoy my day with my family.

I have a cazillion photos to share from our trip in Europe and we will be in Paris for a couple of more posts.  I loved this city though I have to say the traffic scared me a little.  Going around the roundabouts were spent with my eyes closed most of the time.  Fortunately I wasn't driving!  It was exciting, scary and adventurous to navigate through the city, all at the same time.  Like any city driving I am sure you get used to it, and I can't wait to get back as there was so much more I would like to have seen.  


The following photo shows the statue of Charlemagne et Ses Leydes.  Forever curious about the things I come across, I looked him up.  I had heard the name over the years but really did not know too much of his history.  Charlemagne was the Frankish king who conquered most of Europe and was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Leo III in the year 800.  I read that today he is regarded not only as the founding father of both French and German monarchies, but also as the father of Europe.  His empire united most of Western Europe for the first time since the Romans, and the Carolingian renaissance encouraged the formation of a common European identity.  You can read more about him here.

This interesting contraption is one of the tourist cycles where you can hop up onto the back seat and the rider will give you a tour of the city or drop you off from point A to point B, like a taxi.  It is the first one I have seen with this kind of cover.


I fell in love with the rooftops of Paris.  This was the view from our hotel window.  We looked down onto a narrow lane and early in the morning I watched people going to their jobs.  I am a nosy parker, what can I say?


The following photos were taken on the hotel roof where there was a restaurant.  It was a grey day but looking towards the Eiffel Tower I had to pinch myself. 


No, we didn't get to the top as we ran out of time but as I have often said, you have to leave something out to see anew the next time you visit.






Another beautiful statue and by this time the skies had cleared and were a beautiful blue.


More to come but it is time to get ready so that I can start my birthday.  Hope you all have a great day.

40 comments:

  1. happy birthday.. enjoy your day.. love love love those roof tops.. and the odd thing is i can always tell when a photo was taken in Europe, it has its own look.. great photos to jog your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh happy birthday to you!!! and i really, REALLY enjoyed the photos! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Denise! I agree … when viewed from above there seems to be adventure under every rooftop in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Enjoying the tour of Paris through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wishing you the happiest of birthday celebrations, and enjoy your dear family too. Thank you for giving me a mini trip here as well, with such lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Denise!! I hope you enjoy your day with your family. Your trip looks wonderful. I think I might get claustrophobic if I visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a very happy birthday! enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Denise!
    Aloha from Hawaii.
    Loved those photos of Paris.
    I read a book about Charlemagne when I was in grade school, so thanks for refreshing my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful birthday, Denise, and many more! Love those rooftop photos too! Yes, another trip is a good idea. But for now, I'll try to be satisfied with your current photos...nah, I want MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!!! I hope your day is amazing. Loved your photos of Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a Happy birthday dear friend !
    I'm a little behind on my blog visiting, but plan on taking time to look at your awesome pictures, and enjoying reading about your trip.
    Hugs and enjoy your special day.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures are like a dream! Love your shot of the Eiffel tower with all the houses under it. And that rooftop!! Wish I could go there to visit. I think that little bike contraption may be a good way to get around and see everything you want without having to cater to other people on a big tour. But it would depend on how much they cost and if the seat is comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm enjoying all of the photos immensely Denise! but WOW those shots of the buildings and over the rooftops are amazing.
    Now go and get ready, you have a birthday to celebrate!
    Happy Birthday dear Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Happy Birthday! Ah.........Paris. I haven't been since 1988. Too long. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy, happy birthday - and thank you so much for taking us to Paris with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you. Love those P arise rooftops. The even line of Mansard roofs along with the Boulevards were part of the redesign initiated after the barricades fell.

    I love Paris, but avoided automobiles. Which hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Denise!

    Gorgeous views of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful photos from Paris, Denise!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday, Denise! What gorgeous photos of Paris - Love the rooftops- so romantic! I hope to get there someday....Hope you have a lovely day! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad that I logged in to my computer after quite a few days today..was down with fever and other priorities but back just o time to wish you Happy Birthday..Many Many Happy Returns of the Day Denise..

    was not able to go through your posts..will catch up all soon..loved the pictures in this post..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday!
    I wish I had known you were going to Paris,my friend lives there (born in Birmingham!), he would have been a great tour guide.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday and these are some beautiful pictures!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    This post is a gift to us


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a day late but many happy returns! I'm sure you enjoyed your special day with your family. Looking forward to more Paris scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday, Denise! I hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday (belated now -- here in Alaska we are four hours behind Eastern Daylight Time). I know you had a great time.

    Am loving the tour of Paris. driving sounds super-scary. I think I'd have to opt for walking or public transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday, Denise! I got here just in drooly time! Keeper love Paris and she tells me that is her dream city. And if she can bring me there she probably would.

    Love ya to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I noticed some of tourist cycles - bright red - in Hereford when I last visited. It's a great idea. Thanks for the tour, Denise, and I'm glad you left something to see when next you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday Denise, I hope your family spoil you. The photos of Paris are delightful. I like rooftop scenes too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A little late but belated greetings to you. Hope you had a wonderful day. Thank you for the photos and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My late congratulation to you !! Happy Birthday!
    Wonderful, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just caught up with this post Denise.
    Belated best wishes on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad we chatted awhile on your birthday, Denise, and seeing these rooftops makes me long to see them in person...maube one day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Belated birthday and I am so glad you are celebrating it in style...

    ReplyDelete