Saturday, July 26, 2014

A poem

 
This is a poem I found called "Messenger"
by one of my all-time favorites, Mary Oliver from her book "Thirst".


My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird,
Equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast, there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old?  Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect?
Let me keep my mind on what matters,
Which is my work,
Which is mostly standing still and learning to be
Astonished. 
The phoebe, the delphinium,
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

Which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
And these body-clothes,
A mouth with which to give shouts of joy
To the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
Telling them all, over and over, how it is
That we live forever. 


These photos are nothing to do with this poem, well maybe just a little, as I love the frog whom I think is looking out on nature with what I would say is pure joy.  Yes, I am empathizing.  It is something I relate to wholeheartedly.  Gregg took the shot of the sundial, and I think it is such a neat photo.  

My vacation posts will resume in the coming week.


19 comments:

William Kendall said...

That is a lovely poem. And a whimsical looking frog!

Susan (ABON) said...

How beautiful the words of your poem, Denise! It clearly and sweetly speaks your love of nature. Love it!

Adam said...

I really like that frog statue

Karen S. said...

A lovely heartfelt poem and I like your photos, especially the frog!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Denise,

Enjoyed reading the poem - thanks for sharing. Also love the sweet frog statue.
Happy Sunday
hugs
Carolyn

Ginny said...

I LOVE it!!!!!

Elephant's Child said...

Gratitude adds so much flavour to life. Gratitude and an open heart, mind and eyes.

eileeninmd said...

Cute poem, thanks for sharing! Happy Sunday!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Love the frog.

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

I love the froggie!

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Denise Love the frog with his bins. I would love to have that sculpture in my garden.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

The frog is marvelous and fits the poem nicely. I can hardly wait to get out and about again. Too long have I been idle!

Bhasvant said...

Beautiful observation of realities usually veiled from eyes of many.

Gail said...

I think the photos fit quite well with your words. Your words were amazing.

Stephanie said...

Lovely poem and love that cute frog.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Well, three for three! l think we may be kindred spirits :) I love the sundial, the frog and the poem. Hard to pick a favourite , the frog so eagerly admiring, the sundial like two love-rings embracing and the poem allowing me to call what I do "work" though it is closer to what I would call "play".

Anni said...

Oh I WANT that frog!!! It's like he is birding!

Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

Debbie said...

omgoodness, i LOVE this place!!!!

and the poem, the poem is wonderful!!!!

Marie said...

Beautiful poem, and great photos, Denise! There is so much to love about this world!