Sunday, July 20, 2014

Food post - A beverage - Fresh Lemonade

I am methodically going through our vacation photos and am in the middle of a post.  It is taking longer than I thought, and as I have had this in the pipeline for a while, well you get a recipe for Fresh Lemonade.



Yes, we all know that there is nothing better for you than good old  
H
2
O
....

but sometimes when you have company it's nice to be able to offer them a refreshing, cold drink on a hot summer's day.  I found this recipe at Christy's OnoNOMonopia Blog.  It is actually a Copycat Chick-Fil-A recipe.  You can see it here.   

Copycat Chick-Fil-A Lemonade

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Serves: 5

2/3 cup sugar
4 cups water, divided
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 6 squeezed lemons)

Squeeze lemons, making sure to strain out the seeds and most but not all of the pulp.

Mix sugar and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe container, then microwave for 1 minute on high.  Stir, then microwave 1 more minute and mix until sugar dissolves completely.

Stir sugar water, 3 cups chilled water and lemon juice.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

~~~~~~~~

I grew up thinking that Lemonade was actually a Lemon-like Soda Pop and if I remember correctly, the brand my Mum always bought was Corona. At least whenever she gave us a glass, that's what we got, I think.  Memory is a little fuzzy on these things lately.  

It was only when I came to the States and asked for Lemonade, that I learned differently.  Much to my surprise I got something that was made with fresh lemons.  We don't drink it very often but it can get very humid here and if I go out on one of those days, I might order a glass with my meal.  

You can always tell the fresh from that made with concentrate, which we can buy at the supermarket in the frozen section.  I sometimes got it for Brad when he was school-age.  It is fine except that sometimes you would like the kind made with real lemons.  The night I made this I cooked a piece of broiled haddock, oven roasted corn and steamed vegetables.  It went very well together.

We also discovered Limeade when traveling through Richmond, at a small whole-in-the-wall place.  It is closed now but we always stopped for a glass of freshly made Limeade on our way back home.  It was sooooooooo good!  I am going to try this using limes next time. 

My recipe turned out very tart.  I suppose it all depends on how much juice you squeeze out of those lemons and mine were large and had a lot of juice. Both Gregg and I like 'tart' and thought it was deliciously refreshing but you can always have extra sugar on hand for people who need to add more to sweeten.  You can also dabble with sugar substitutes.

And thank you Christy for this lovely drink.  You can find her blog here.  It has a lot of great looking recipes to try.

I also recently came across a really cute cookie recipe, great for your children or grandchildren, or just to have some fun in the kitchen.  I believe it is in Japanese but there are enough photos that you could maybe use your own favorite cookie dough recipe.  To see what I am talking about you just have to click here.  I bet they would go great with a glass of milk.  If anyone has a nut allergy you could also maybe M & M's?  It would be fun experimenting with different treats.

13 comments:

  1. A drink I've always liked. I haven't had any in awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Chickfila's lemonade. Thanks so much! My husband's parents once lived in Flordia and would send us the biggest lemons each year. They were wonderful for making lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live about an hour away from Richmond! I discovered limeade when I was dating my husband, and a friend served it with an appetizer at a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely drink lemonade unless it is a scorchingly hot day. Every year when I attend the Filberg Festival which happens very soon, I get some as they use the freshest ingredients. I will try this one to have on hand whenever we have guests over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not had lemonade in a long time, I usually drink ice tea. Denise, your recipe sounds refreshing, thanks for sharing. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use one of them right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound refreshing but not so good for the teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a while since I drank lemonade, but what a fun recipe. I used to have a lemon tree in the back yard, but it died and we had to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for visiting my blog, Denise. To follow me, you must click on the small double boxes next to the Join This Site button. The small boxes will open a window where you can click on the Follow button in top right corner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemonade and cookies sound great together, Denise, and at any time of year too. I have made more ice tea but perhaps will try this recipe for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since Indian weather is hot and humid lemonade is the one that is liked by all..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love lemonade on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete