Saturday, June 28, 2014

TODAY'S FLOWERS #303


 On our walk at Limberlost Trail a while ago, there were Bluets everywhere and they were a beautiful sight.  Another name for this pretty little flower is Quaker Ladies.  They are about half an inch across and very small compared to some that I saw that day, but they were one of my favorites.  Bluets were blooming all along the trail, and by the end of our walk I had fallen in love with this tiny wildflower.





 Pink Columbine, sometimes called Granny's Nightcap or Pink Lanterns.  It attracts butterflies, bumblebees and hummingbirds and blooms for an extended time beginning in early spring.  It thrives in sun or shade and will self seed.  Buntings and finches apparently love the seed.  





I have Gregg to thank for this one.  It is a Pink Trillium and was not immediately visible but Gregg is a great spotter and picked it out almost immediately.  It was the only one we found that day.  Trillium are members of the lily family.  Another name for Trillium is Stinking Benjamin!  As you might guess by the name they apparently don't smell very nice.  No I didn't bend down to take a whiff, frankly I would never have been able to get up again without great difficulty.  Apparently insects love that stinky smell.
 


This is a White Baneberry, also known as Doll's Eye.  It is a highly toxic plant which is its only defense.  It deters both humans and most animals but there are some who are tolerant to the toxins.  What animals those are I'm not sure.



This yellow flower is called Golden Ragwort.  Its nectar and pollen attract small bees and flies.  We saw a lot of Carpenter bees flying around, and another flying insect that you can just make out in the photo. 





Today's Flowers was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli, Jr.




You can find beautiful flowers from around the world if you click here.

TF teamPupo - Sandy Carlson - Denise

If anyone would like to be a guest and share photos on our home page, details can be found at the top of Today's Flowers web site, which you will find here.

29 comments:

  1. Stinking Benjamin! I would love to know the story abut that, I think I will look it up. Wow, I did not know the names of any of these flowers! I need to keep this post as a reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures. Those dainty Bluets are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All lovely flowers, but my favourite is the columbine. I always think of ballet dancers when I see them in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely post with gorgeous photographed flowers and great information to go along with them. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Denise, lovely wildflowers. Limberlost is my favorite trail, we saw some of these same flowers during our last visit too. Beautiful photos! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the 'common names' of these blooms. very quaint!

    we get small bluets here in jan/feb. they are teeny tiny things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sequence of shots. I love the masses of bluets and the columbine is lovely. All the shots are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen bluets before - they are a lovely little flower!! I can understand why you don't have any close-ups of the individual blossoms!! I love the golden ragwort, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful flowers! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect captures, sure brightens my morning eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fell in love with the Quaker ladies when I was training to become a docent at Gunstun Hall in the early 1970s. They are a Virginia native flowers woes name derives from the Colonial era. Gorgeous in spring. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers were so unusual, I got distracted. But where is this Limberlost Trail? My grandmother's favorite book was "Girl Of the Limberlost"! I really need to get a copy and read it. I did not know there is a real Limberlost trail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're very pretty!

    I remember a limberlost road up in our cottage country...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers- especially the Bluets. We have a flower that resembles that, but it is purple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful captures Denise. the bluets are beautiful, so small and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of pretty flowers. I like bluets, they're so simple, yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have captured some lovely wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressed with the beautiful pictures and with your knowledge of wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all your wildflower photos, especially the bluets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos, and good job finding the names for all of them. That's sometimes a challenge.
    I love finding the rare blossoms, like that trillium.

    ReplyDelete
  21. such lovely wildflowers! great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everyone so different but also so beautiful. I love to see flowers from other places. Wish we had bumblebees in Perth. I saw one in New Zealand back in the 1980s and fell in love with it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a delicious carpet of little white stars. Lovely flowers Denise.

    ReplyDelete