Tuesday, June 10, 2014

NATURE NOTES

 We found an aquarium at Meadowlark Gardens in the visitor center, which house Fire-bellied Toads.  I have yet to see one as they seem to be elusive, but this interesting plant always catches my eye.  It is a Venus Fly Trap, the first one I have ever seen.  It is quite small in comparison to those I have seen on nature shows, only a few inches high. 


According to what I read here at Wikipedia, some of which information many probably know of, "The Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) is a carnivorous plant native to subtropical wetlands on the East Coast of the United States.  It catches its prey - chiefly insects and arachnids - with a tripping structure formed by the terminal portion of each of the plant's leaves, and is triggered by tiny hairs on the inner surfaces.  When an insect or spider crawling along the leaves contacts a hair, the trap closes if a different hair is contacted within 20 seconds of the first strike.  The requirement of redundant triggering in this mechanism serves as a safeguard against a waste of energy in trapping objects with no nutritional value."




There are also two objects nearby that caught my curiosity, the first was what looks like an ammonite (a fossilized shell).  Whether it is a real one or purely fake for decorative purposes I am not sure.  But it sent me on a refresher search.  I read at Wikipedia here that "Ammonites are  an extinct group of marine invertebrate animals in the subclass Ammonoidea of the class Cephalopoda.  These molluscs are more closely related to living coleoids (i.e. octopuses, squid and cuttlefish) than they are to shelled nautiloids such as the living Nautilus species.  The earliest ammonites appear during the Devonian, and the last species died out during the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event."



Now for the object above.  I asked the gentleman behind the counter at the center if he knew what it was.  He didn't so I have written to the garden with the hopes that they will satisfy my curiosity before this is posted. 

~~~~~~~

Thank you for hosting Michelle. 

Please visit other Nature Notes lovers here.



18 comments:

  1. The fly traps are so delicate yet complex, yet work every time! A man made invention could not do better! It really does look like an ammonite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Venus Flytraps - and Pitcher Plants, both of which we have grown in the past.
    I hope they do satisfy your (and our) curiosity about the bottom item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks a little like a trilobite.

    That is a beautiful garden. I love your photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denise, The Venus Flytrap plants are cool! Thanks for sharing this interesting post.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember first seeing venus fly traps when i was a kid. there were commercials to go buy them. they are so interesting aren't they? as for the last thing? my guess is alien baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fossilised something or other! Great catching up after my break. We have a strange little carnivorous plant out on the moor called Sundew; I've only ever seen it once and had no camera at the time but, until about ten years ago I thought they were only found in hot countries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like the fly-trap and its two-trigger spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Venus flytraps- so peculiar, but so pretty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have seen the fly traps at Selby Gardens but neither one of the other objects.. now i wonder what a firebellied frog looks like

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful that you retain the curiosity and awe of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heard about fly trap trees but never seen one..Today got the opportunity to see it..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the Venus Flytrap. Our local garden store has had them in the past and I have toyed with the idea of getting one. If you find out what the last object is, do let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How very cool Denise. You have the best camera.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in the Harz Mountains is also a drosera species. Very small and it grows in the bog, rare to find. When it was still the border area and no one could crush them there, I was there with my father and he showed me. Today I am unable to find ... just a lot of tourists ...
    It is strange!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting post....did not know they Venus fly-trap had that way of conserving energy. You know the first thing I would want to do is activate it and I suppose that is sort of mean now that I think about it. It probably needs all the energy it has just to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I raised one as a class project and I seem to remember feeding it raw meat... But it didn't last. I have to go visit the aquarium that is not too far from where I live...I love them..Michelle

    ReplyDelete