Tuesday, June 24, 2014

NATURE NOTES and a WARNING, if you don't like SNAKES this is not for you.


 Back in the beginning of April Gregg and I went to Huntley Meadows.  It is a place we have been to often over the years and I have shared about it before.  If you would like to see those other visits, you can click on the Huntley Meadows label below this post.


 Whenever we saw a group of people staring into the undergrowth we would join them to see what they were staring at.  Today was the day for snakes.  In fact, there have been many visits where we would see none but on this particular day we saw many. 


We were told by someone that these are Ribbon Snakes.


 An eastern ribbon snake, or common ribbon snake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus) is a subspecies of ribbon snake found in the northeastern United States.  It averages 16-35 inches (41-89 cm) in length.





I think the snake below may be a garter snake, only because on this page here it shows you the difference.  On the eye of the ribbon snake there is a small white marking in front of the eye, whereas a garter snake does not.   I am by no means an expert but it's fun trying to learn these things after seeing so many of them, and I enjoyed reading the information at that link.



 I have absolutely no clue what this one is.  Can anyone ID it for me?   


 And no, I wasn't that close when taking any of these photos.






As you can see, the park was very busy the day we went.  It is unusual for us to go on a Saturday and there were a lot of parents with children interested in those snakes.  It is how we spotted them in the first place.  I think this area is a marvelous place for introducing young ones to nature. 



I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes Thanks for hosting such a fun meme Michelle, and an educational one also as it makes me look further than the end of my nose!


26 comments:

Gunilla Bäck said...

Awesome shots of the snakes. These are all cute. At least when viewed from a safe distance. Have a great day!

Ginny said...

I hate snakes and am totally scared of them. Also for me, they are too closely tied up with Satan.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Denise These are awesome shots of the snakes especially the one looking directly into the camera. I amaazed at all the people with children in the area.

Mike Biles said...

Fabulous, fascinating post. If you didn't get that close to the snakes, you must have a very good zoom and an extremely steady hand - the close-ups are excellent. We don't get too many snakes in the UK - I think just 3 species? None in Ireland - they were banished!

eileeninmd said...

I do not mind the snakes as long as they are not close.. I think the last one maybe the black rat snake..Great shots, I enjoyed my one visit to Huntley Meadows. Have a happy day!

Valerie said...

I don't mind snakes... er... to look at, although I did once hold one. I couldn't believe how lovely they felt. I would be a bit wary out in the wilds though.

ladyfi said...

Awesome shots of those pretty snakes.

retriever said...

Love not much snakes, but your shots are wonderfull.

TexWisGirl said...

so very cute! as long as they have round pupils. :)

Felicia said...

I dont like snakes at all yet they seem to fascinate us don't they.

Great images.

Tanya Breese said...

awesome shots!! i think the black one is a black rat snake, harmless. it looks so cold out, i'm surprised the snakes were out, or was this on a different day?

Kerri Farley said...

I think those are so cool! and it looks like a great place to commune with nature .....love that boardwalk!

Gail Dixon said...

Since I began photography, I am no longer squeamish about snakes. I have some ribbon and water snake shots I have been holding back because I know most of my followers no likey. :) These are awesome and I really love the close-up of the face. Nice job!

Karen said...

I like snakes, from a distance. Great shots!

William Kendall said...

They're beautiful snakes. And I like snakes- they do a good job taking care of mice and other pests.

Janie said...

I wasn't a fan of snakes as a child, but after raising 2 boys, I learned to appreciate them. These are great shots of the snakes! I can't guess the mystery one. The ribbon snake is aptly names.

Andrew Fulton said...

So glad I don't have these in my garden...

pattisjarrett said...

How cute those two are together. I don't think I've ever called a snake "cute" before. Glad to see no photographers were harmed in the filming of this blog! ;)

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Wonderful photos of the snakes - they are interesting creatures and I don't mind them at all. So beneficial to the environment, too. This looks like a great place to explore! - Karen

Jeanne said...

What wonderful slithery shots! What I love most is you caught them behaving socially. So cool!

Brian King said...

I've never seen a ribbon snake, but we do have some garter snakes around the house.

Adam said...

the first one reminds me of a smaller one my brother had as a pet.

Susan said...

Such a special place Denise. No wonder its so popular with families :D)

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

The little ribbon snake is beautiful. You can tell by their rounded noses that neither of these shy creatures is poisonous.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great pictures -- how cool is it that you got one where he actually posed ... looking right at you!

maryaustria said...

Fascinating and gorgeous shots!