Thursday, May 22, 2014

SKYWATCH FRIDAY

I am starting off with the Thomas Jefferson Memorial.  This was while I was driving by in the passenger seat.  I had to crop it to take out the railings on that side of the road.  


There was no parking nearby and as you can see, the tourists were out and about.  The steps of the Memorial are always a great place to sit for a while.  I remember listening to the Marine Corps Band playing just below the steps 38 years ago.  I was a new bride and equally new resident of the USA.  


 We were driving along Thomas Jefferson Boulevard when we spotted this balloon advertising a local radio station.  


Gregg took the next photo.  It is the roof of the Library of Congress.  I have just found a great sight showing these really neat old photos you can find there.  You can go to this link to see them.


 A statue I am not familiar with and as we were driving in the car I couldn't take a look.  We hadn't too long before driven down from the Capitol.


The statue below is across the street from the Corcoran Museum of Art, on top of a tall column.  I have posted about it before and this is a link to that post.  It is called "Winged Victory".

 
My thanks to the SkyWatch Team, YogiSandy and Sylvia,  for hosting this wonderful meme.


Please click here to visit other sky watchers.


Happy SkyWatch Friday!

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I've only been in the US for one year (and one month) and I'm in love with DC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic shots !!
    I also have to say I LOVE that new header ... is that at your place ?? Gorgeous area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots of "all things" in the sky. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful - i like the tourist photo, too. all enjoying the good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty skies! Beautiful sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots of the memorial, statues and balloons. I'd like to take a ride in a big balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful buildings and skies! Gorgeous shots! Love the balloon next to the half moon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the first shot! The second with the moon is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brings back memories. In the 1960s when I was married to a Marine, I got tickets most Friday evenings to attend the marine band concerts up at 8th and I NE. (Marine Hdqrs.) Even after D was overseas I went to concerts with other military wives. (Lynda Bird Robb belonged to the same 'waiting wives' group later on.). She could often be found at those concerts before she married Chuck Robb who was a Marine.

    Also, I spent many hours at the Library of Congress when I worked for Congress in the 1970s

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to see those lovely views and the sky beyond Denise :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good pictures! The tourists look like ants! I remember listening to the Marine Band there, and also the Capitol Fireworks sitting on the Capitol steps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Skywatch post! Love all the views of D.C. and the statues. Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice shots! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grand structure against the perfect sky.
    Love the range of subjects here today. :)
    Happy SWF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spectacular shots! I'm assuming someone will be identifying that statue soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great pics, lots of neat sky pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pics Denise..loved the sky with the balloon and the moon and the roof of Congress..and I am astonished to see both the statues so similar to the status of our Victoria Memorial..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  19. A particularly lovely shot of the unfamiliar statue.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots, Denise. Interesting varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have certainly caught a whole bunch of glorious skies, Denise! Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great sights all- Wonderful shot, Gregg!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this post, great to see other places and wonderful skies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love the header and what afun trip

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos, Denise, makes me long to get back for a visit. The last time I was in DC, the TJ Memorial was surrounded by scaffolding. My sky

    ReplyDelete
  26. It must be amazing to live so near to all these important historical places. And beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never been there, but have always wanted to go. Beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You folks sure know how to do country pride! You statues and buildings are wonderful!

    Cheers from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great information and beautiful photos.

    My 2 weeks vacation in Switzerland ended. It is a beautiful country. And now, here in Finland we have really a heat wave.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. You had such beautiful skies for these photos, Denise. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete