Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Our Daughter-in-Law, a Turtle-rescuing Hero!

I thought I would share a little of what I have been doing over the last few days.  I haven't done a ramble in a while.

But first of all let me tell you about our daughter-in-law's great love for turtles, especially when she sees them in danger.  If she comes across one in the middle of the road she always tries to rescue them,  and that's why she is my hero.   

She and our son were meeting up for a family event and they spotted a snapping turtle in danger of being run over.  They stopped in a safe spot and daughter-in-law immediately jumped out of the car and picked up the snapping turtle.  He wasn't too happy, he didn't know he was being rescued, that long neck swiveled out of its shell and he took a swipe at her.  But, she's a total expert on reptilians, has been for years.  She knows the deal as she avoided its beak, took it over the road in the direction it was heading, and deposited it near a pond.  And I'm sure if the snapper could, he would have thanked her for having such a kind heart.  Yes, she is definitely my hero, for this and for the many other kind things she has done.

For those of you who want to see a great article on turtles, check out Michelle's Nature Notes here.  Coincidentally her report on turtles came two days after our daughter-in-law's experience.  Michelle's blog, Rambling Woods, is a wonderful nature blog.

On Mother's Day our son came over.  I also had two friends staying the night as they had traveled some distance to go to the opera the day before.  The last time they had a chance to visit with son was at his wedding, almost five years ago.  It was lovely to hear him chatting with them and it made the day extra special.  After they had left we had a few more hours with son, and eventually it was time for him to pick up our daughter-in-law who had spent the time with her mother.  All in all a very wonderful Mother's Day for both us moms.

That was on the Sunday but the day before these two friends I have mentioned and two other friends, we all met up at our local movie theater to see the live televised performance of the New York Met's "La Cenerentola", Rossini's version of the Cinderella story.   I thoroughly enjoyed this version, but it was a far cry from the one I have been used to since childhood.  For instance, there is no wicked stepmother but there is a wicked stepfather.  There are still the two stepsisters who are so mean to their half-sibling, but the Prince comes along to save the day.  Juan Diego Flórez played the Prince and Joyce DiDonato took on the roll of Cinderella.  All the performers did an incredible job, it was very light hearted and listening to them sing was a joy.

Instead of going to our usual restaurant everyone came to our house for dinner.  I had prepared a very non-fussy crockpot meal and all I had to do was cook some rice.  One friend had transported a delicious appetizer in her ice chest, which I took note of for when I have company, and our other friends had brought wine.  It made for a great evening!

And that was my weekend .

~~~~~~~

We make patterns, we share moments."
~Jenny Downham~

 
At the beginning of May, we were staying with my In-Law's for a few days.  They have this lovely sun room looking out towards their back garden, and we always spend a lot of time in there chatting.  

We will watch the birds visit the feeders, a pair of ducks get their cracked corn on the ground underneath, the occasional four legged friend stops by for a meal or two.  My In-Laws take good care of both feathered and four-legged friends who might wander by.  They take excellent care of their wildlife.  The fact that their garden is surrounded by very tall pine trees makes it an even more idyllic place to sit for a spell, a long spell.

On one such occasion my gaze went down to the pretty tiling and the edge of the area rug.  Following Gregg's example - he is always looking for patterns not only in nature but elsewhere - I took a photo, and then went back to chatting and looking at the birds.

23 comments:

  1. I remember once stopping in the road for a snapping turtle. I stood by on the road reasoning that any oncoming traffic would see me before the turtle. I must have been too close at one point because the snapper reared back fast to take a bite and I had to step back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun room floor is lovely! And your daughter-in-law is a hero! And a caring one too. I am so glad you had such a good Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work done by your daughter-in-law. Sounds you had a great mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we had live showings of operatic events. Oh well, that's life. Kudos to your daughter in law for what I call bravery. Enjoyable read, Denise, and I'm glad you had a happy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have tiny turtles here that sometimes cross roads and signs warn people to watch out for them. I must admit I've never seen one so far.
    Your Mother's Day sounded so good and lovely to share with friends as well.
    That floor is what we call crazy paving or at least it looks like it. I do like that rug and the outlook from that sunroom sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter in law is great to have saved the Snapping turtle.. I had my hubby help a turtle cross the road too. So glad you had a happy Mother's Day! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! It's so Something we do too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you've had some great family and friend time. nature, too. the best of what life has to offer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GREAT Daughter-In-Law - and I LOVE that pattern too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tile patterns and mosaics too. Years ago, I wrote a paper on mosaics for an art history class. The prof liked it so much he asked if he could use it in his book. Thanks for inspiring this memory bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a nice mothers day.

    Thank you for commenting on my blog.

    I enjoyed to read your blog and your pictures. Thanks for sharing to all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise, You sound busy and happy with visits from family and friends. Enjoy your spring. I just came back from a walk, and it's snowing again here in Breckenridge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story about the turtle rescue, good for her, if only everyone could do the same. Sounds like you enjoyed a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice time you had with your relatives and friends. I liked the story about your daughter in law's saving that turtle's life. I have never seen a turtle in the middle of the road, but there are many in the ocean near shore here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect weekend. I had just read Michelle's blog before I clicked here ... wonderful article and your DIL is a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only there were more souls on earth like your DIL. What a wonderful gesture to save the turtle. I think I would have been afraid to pick up a snapping turtle. Bravo for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've tried to rescue a snapper but with a big stick and he wasn't happy either. pretty floor. glad you had a good mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice catch up post on all your recent activities, Denise. Kudos to your DIL for the turtle rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You daughter-in-law is indeed a hero..and so glad that you had wonderful time with friends and family and also for having a great Mother's day..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delightful ramble, Denise! I appreciate all your recent comments on my blog as well. Love the story of your dau-in-law saving the snapping turtle, and the Mother's Day visit! Have a wonderful week! We are headed to Madera Canyon for a couple of days soon and hopefully will get lots of great photos to share! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for your daughter-in-law. I love looking at turtles too. She's wonderful to risk her fingers to save a snapping turtle. They are one turtle I'm not too crazy about.

    ReplyDelete