Monday, May 19, 2014

NATURE NOTES


 I saw this pretty little beetle on one of our walks the beginning of May.  I spotted it when the sun was glinting off its shell.  


Our friend here is called the Six Spotted Tiger Beetle (Cicindela sexguttata) and I found a great page about him which you can visit at this link. 


 The photos don't do it justice because it was the most fascinating and beautiful little thing I had ever seen in the insect world.  Its outer coat shone like satin and I thought it extraordinary as I have never seen such a shiny insect, and never thought I would ever find its identity. 



I put "shiny green beetle northern virginia" in the search engine and one of the first images that popped up was my unidentified beetle, now identified. 


It was moving fast and flew off shortly after these photos were taken.



I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes Thanks for hosting such a fun meme Michelle, and an educational one also as it makes me look further than the end of my nose!