Monday, May 5, 2014

NATURE NOTES


Last week we were in Norfolk in Virginia, and we often like to go over to the botanical garden for a walk. They have a lot of trails and the spring flowers were blooming.  Rain was forecast and there were ominous, dark clouds in the sky.  However, we were fortunate because we didn't feel the first sprinkles until we got back to my in-law's home.  You can click on this link to see the garden's home page.


 We walked by a lake and in that lake we found one koi.  There may have been others but I looked and didn't see any at the surface like this one.  It was a strange feeling because when I focused on the Koi, I realized that it was staring at me.  I am not sure if it was waiting for food but it was definitely waiting for something, and it was using its pectoral fins to 'hover' in one spot.

  
It was large, at least two feet long.  Definitely an odd sensation being studied by a fish, and of course I enjoyed my time studying it.  He/she was fascinating and beautiful.


Koi do in fact grow very large and are best for large ponds.  The average adult size is approximately two-and-a-half to three feet.  However, they can get larger than that.  I read that they usually live around 20 to 30 years old, and I may be repeating myself as I know I have done at least one other post on Koi, but there is a story of the oldest Koi on record, named Hanako.  It was said to have lived to be about 226 years old and was passed down from generation to generation.  Hanako died around 1977.

~~~~~~~

Thank you for hosting such a lovely meme Michelle.

Please visit other Nature Notes lovers here.

40 comments:

  1. When I watch the birds in our yard, I also wonder IF they are watching humans as well and if they have a name for the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an awesome shot, the first one, he looks like he is walking on top of the water, and i do think he was waiting for food...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you were definitely being 'checked out' by that beautiful koi Denise. Lovely photos too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have always wanted a koi pond, but knew it would be doomed with our dogs and herons and egrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have been some other kois that were suppose to be older than 100, though so far they've only been able to prove (without a shadow of doubt) a little over 50 years

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too cute, and I could sit there and watch him all day long! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine that this koi is begging for whatever you'll feed him!! Such lovely gardens!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it was waiting for food.....I have 4 cats just like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely fish, Denise.

    A few years back I had two koi carp in the garden pond. Someone said they would grow too big for their area and I didn't believe them. However, they died and I think it was because they were in such a small space. The heron didn't get them, though, which was one consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fish looks like a pretty yellowish flower in the water. How fascinating that it has grown so large and has the potential to live so long. Certainly any creature over time would become more and more curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful koi! Your photographs show how amazing they are. Thank you for the facts about them; I had no idea they lived so long and got so large.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, this one's definitely watching you, and expecting food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one giant koi! He probably is the only one there and is huge because he's getting all the food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What marvelous pictures of the Koi. He must have been a very curious one, maybe much smarter than the rest. He is a pretty one, too. Do you think the old one really lived that long? what a fascinating thought!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating information about Hanako!
    Your first image is just lovely Denise. My, he is a BIG fish and very, very handsome. (I feel it's a boy) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing life Hanako had. This one does appear to be watching and waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sure it a big koi! I do think they are use to people feeding them so they know to come close. Denise great shots, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that was one old fish.

    In the first pic the fish looks like he's coming up out of the water at you.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are such beautiful shots of that very elegant looking golden koi. The color is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots of the koi at the botanical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, that garden is on my "to visit" list. Guess it's a few hours from here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What lovely shots of the koi.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that first shot is so clear that the fish looks like a toy! It's also very big!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Koi. They are splendid fish, tho not very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Many people ask why we don't have koi but we like the pond to be natural and the koi wouldn't last long with all the predators. Boy this one is a big one...and they do look nice in the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where my older daughter lives, the apts. are built around ponds...and there are huge Koi in them...Lorelei had to go look for them 2 or 3 times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a beauty Denise! He's a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't know koi could live that long...Wow... Long life to this pretty one... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. A very peculiar fish. Maybe it is beautiful, but I think it's scary when it stares around.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like fish nice to see one bing so friendly, I remember years ago when the girls were small visiting a castle with loads in a huge pond and they nibbled your fingers. I imagine they wanted food rather than doing it for fun

    ReplyDelete
  31. That one huge fish! Maybe he ate all the other ones!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely photo of the Koi..I have seen many fishes but nothing as beautiful as this one..

    ReplyDelete