Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Frying Pan Farm Park, Herndon, Virginia


One of the most fun places to go to within a short drive is Frying Pan Farm Park - link here.


 A couple of years ago I bought honey from a gentleman selling several kinds at a nearby fall festival. This particular honey was the best I had ever tasted, with the added gem that it was made locally.  A wonderful discovery as I always buy locally when I can.  I fully intended to go back the following year but it was not meant to be.  After buying a couple of jars for us and few jars for family to try, I finally ran out. The other day I had a craving for a taste of this delicious honey, and I remembered him telling me the only other place he sold it was at the General Store in Frying Pan Farm Park.  
  


The old pot-bellied stove was inside, as well as this really neat old cash register.....
 


and we got our honey.  We also had a great walk around the farm with all its farm animals and pretty scenery.



At this time of year there are a lot of relatively new 'babies' being looked after in the pens.  Even though the day was warm and sunny, they still had heating lamps that cast a nice glow over these cuties, probably to ward off the chill at night.

Hello cutie! 

 
He came up to me to see what I was doing and then returned to grab a spot amongst his brothers and sisters, actually sitting on the one at the right, and pushing him aside to tuck himself neatly into his comfy spot.


They also have an equestrian center.  We watched as this young lady guided her horse over several low jumps.  There was a large barn with an indoor arena.  When we arrived they were judging several miniature horses, which was an unexpected treat for us.
 

 This one was being a little skittish but soon settled down.  His owner had a gentle touch.


 This one was waiting patiently, though I notice he is sticking his tongue out.  


There were more miniatures outside.  I have never ever seen them before except on the TV or in photos.  Adorable, beautiful, sweet little lovelies. 


 There were several things for sale.  I am not a rider but I loved that hat.....
 


and I also liked the look of these trotting carts.


There was also pretty dog walking around the farm.  I kept bumping into him the whole time we were there.


This is the first post on the farm as I have a whole lot of other photos to share.

26 comments:

Ginny said...

The miniature horses are beautiful and adorable. This looks like a wonderful place. And now I want some honey!

Mascha said...

Interesting and funny photos from a very nice place!
I'm curious to see the other pictures.
Have a great day :-)

Cloudia said...

oh this fed my soul! wonderful Springtime Eastcoast! Final shot a gem. . . . And yes, buy yourself a hat like that




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral

=^..^= <3

Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful outing. And I am sure there is a story behind that name...

orvokki said...

These are very nice and interesting photos. I was nice to look them.
Hugs

eileeninmd said...

Denise, looks like a great place to see the critters. Love the piggies and the miniature horses. Cute puppy dog.. Great shots!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I love the old cash register and pot belly stove, and of course those cute little pigs:)

Tanya Breese said...

love the photos and i pinned it...such an interesting name!

Evi @ sexta-feira said...

That seems like fun! I'll have it in mind next time we're looking for an interesting place to visit.

I enjoyed your photos, have a great day!

Adam said...

nice ponies

Jane and Chris said...

Love the piggies!
I was wondering about the name of the farm,but couldn't find anything on the website.
Jane x

TexWisGirl said...

what a great place! a lot going on all at once and a lot to hold your attention! those minis are gorgeous!

gigihawaii said...

You seem to get about quite a bit, which is very nice. You are a great photographer. I especially liked your post about the koi, because I didn't realize they could live to be so old.

Raggedy Creations said...

That looks like a really nice place to visit. Pretty scenery too.

Adorable miniature horses.

William Kendall said...

That's a wonderful looking farm!

I have seen miniature horses like that before... if you look at them from a distance, at first you're wondering if they're a dog.

Janie said...

This looks like a beautiful place with lots to offer. Glad you got your taste of honey!

Don Wood said...

Looks a great place Denise Great photos thank you for sharing them. Don

Gail Dixon said...

This looks like an awesome place!! With the added bonus of local honey. Loved the sky shot with those amazing clouds and all the sweet animals. An unusually-named place with lots to do and see. Fun!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Fabulous series of photos of this outing Denise.
I've had bee hives in suburbia and produced my own honey.
On the farm in Tasmania the local honey producer gained permission to put his hives on our land and in return he would supply us with buckets of honey. There can be huge differences in flavour depending which flora or area the bees are visiting.

Michelle said...

What a delightful place to wander. I look forward to more photos!

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

Beautiful photos!

Susan said...

What a fun place to visit, especially coming away with locally made honey. Loved the miniature ponies :D)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice place. I love the miniature horses. I've seen miniature donkeys live but never the horses.

I could go hang out there and I'd take lots of pics like you did.

Rose said...

I would love to visit this place!

Ranita Sinha said...

Great shots of the lovely farm Denise..the piglets and the miniature horses are so adorable and the carts wee the ones I liked the most..thanks for sharing with us..

SeagullSuzie said...

What a fascinating place.