Tuesday, April 22, 2014

NATURE NOTES AND WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

 

I am taking us back to the beach we visited towards the end of our time in Florida last February.  We had spotted a large number of gulls and I wanted to get some photos.  I expected to see only seagulls and it was a delightful surprise to find a couple of birds that were different from the rest. 

One that I was interested in and had never seen before was a Black Skimmer.  If you want to learn more about him you can click here and again here.







It has a very long, narrow beak.  The lower mandible is used for scooping up small fish as the bird glides over the water.










 
Occasionally they get told off by the seagulls.











 
Round Two?




Today I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday.  Thanks for hosting these wonderful memes Michelle and Stewart. I enjoy joining in when I have something to share.