Saturday, April 19, 2014

CAMERA CRITTERS, SATURDAY'S CRITTERS AND BIRD D'POT

I still have loads of photos to share from our Florida road trip.  These are from Corkscrew Swamp, which I would dearly love to revisit.  It was a dreary, rainy and overcast day, it poured buckets, not all the time on our walk, but we got soaked and with all that it was the most interesting and fun experience.  We certainly didn't let the weather get in the way of our enjoyment of this place.  There were shelters all along the route and, when it got really bad we were able to use them and soon after be on our way.


 All these photos are not the best but what we love about them is that we came across our first owl ever in the wild, and we were able to record it, for the memory alone.  We were both extremely happy for the experience.  The owl was high up in that tree.  The Park Rangers had put a spotting scope for people to use as they passed by.  We were glad we stopped as when we made the trip back, the scope had been removed because of the weather.  I had read somewhere that you could use the scope and if you positioned your lens over it you would get a closer look.  My hands weren't that steady so Gregg tried and he was able to get the photo below.  Both Gregg and I took the photos shown today.


 As I said, not the sharpest but I like the soft quality of the last few shots.


A Barred Owl, what a beauty!







I am joining Misty's Camera Critters 





and 



  Thank you for hosting these great memes ladies.

30 comments:

  1. I love your owl photos. I think owls are my favorite predator bird. We have a great Barred Owl in the large tree next door ( where he roosts at night). I got a good look at him one day as he flew overhead chased by a murder of Crows. Crows hate them and will raise them from their roosts.

    I followed him on foot all the way over to the cemetery (Arlington) where I lost him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of the owl. I've only seen them in captivity at our local nature center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you got to see an owl! barreds are my favorite (and only owl i get to see). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is beautiful and so are the trees. the only time we saw one in the wild i had not camera, it was pre digital...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the unpredictable world of digi-scoping! Pretty good effort too. Always nice to see a bird in the wild that you've not encountered before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That owl looks wonderful and quite dignified, even with the weather the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT an incredible privilege to see an owl in the wild. Magic - and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow what a beautiful bird! Lucky you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a gorgeous owl! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Denise! Corkscrew was one of my favorite places too. I would love to go back.. Congrats on your Barred owl sighting, this owl seems to be a resident of this sanctuary.. Love the digiscoped photos! Thank you for linking up with Saturday's Critters.. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still remember my excitement the first (and only) time I came across a Barred Owl. Any owl at all gets the adrenaline flowing in my life, so it was great fun to know that you feel the same. Loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FABULOUS to get the owl - and really nice that you both worked on this photography-project together

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking owl - the "camera on the 'scope" trick can be useful at times.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredible experience you had there Denise. I think your photos are just perfect too - in keeping with the rainy mood of the day. I can imagine your excitement at seeing the owl :D)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spotting an owl in the wild must have been exciting. It is a beauty and looks very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Denise, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day and Happy Easter. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful experience. That is a very wise looking owl and so dignified too.
    Years ago when Phil was able to play golf there was often an owl sitting in a tree on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Owls can be hard to photograph. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous fotos
    Wonderfull fotos
    Have a nice day Easter
    ♥♥♥V♥ (¯`:´¯)░~~♥☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    ░░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░)(░░░)
    (░(¯ `•.(█).•´¯)░♥♥(¯`:´¯)░)
    (░░(_.•´/|\`•._)(¯ `•.\|/.•´)░)
    ░░░(_.:._).(░(¯ `•.(█).•´¯)░)
    ~~~~♥♥♥__.....(░(_.•´/|\`•._))~~♥
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥~~.............(░(_.:._)░)♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the owl! I wish you a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are lucky seeing owls and being able to photograph them. Ours hide from us. I did once see a snowy owl, I couldn't miss it since it flew right across the car windscreen. I couldn't photograph it since I was driving up a mountain at the time....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I have ever managed to photograph an owl in the wild. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I heard a barred owl today! It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the shots of the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful photos. Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its wonderful you got pictures through the scope -- they look like magical illustrations from a child's book!

    You were pretty close to us when you were at Corkscrew -- that wonderful place is a day-trip for us!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.