Monday, April 28, 2014

Food Post - Salmon with Soy Sauce and Brown Sugar Marinade

I am trying to put at least one recipe on here each week, at least for a while.  Here is the latest.


Gregg was away last week and he gave me leave to prepare all the foods that I love that he doesn't.  This is a family joke just in case you think he is being rather Victorian.  We have a deal, he doesn't eat liquorice in front of me and I don't eat hard-boiled eggs in front of him.  He also is not a fan of salmon so when he had been gone for a couple of days, I went down to the supermarket and bought a piece for myself.  I had found a recipe here which I wanted to try.

Soy Sauce and Brown Sugar Marinade

1-1/2 lbs. salmon fillets
Lemon pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Salt to taste
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder and salt.

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, water and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved.  Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag.  Pour soy sauce mixture over the fish and seal.  Turn the bag to coat.  Marinate for at least two hours.  I turned it over a couple of times during but I am not sure if this is necessary, so you decide if you want to bother with that.

The recipe gives you two choices for cooking, one on the barbecue and the other in the oven.  If you use the barbecue it says to cook the salmon 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

I wrapped mine in foil just like in the recipe, and baked at 425 deg. F. for 15 minutes or again, when you can easily flake the fish with a fork. The flavor was lovely. 



What did I think of this dish?   Tasty!  It will be going in my make again file.  As it was just me I only bought a small fillet and downsized the marinade accordingly. 

If you cooked it on the grill it probably would have browned more, but I was happy with how mine turned out and I wouldn't change a thing.  You can always pop it under the broiler for a little while if you prefer, but be careful not to overcook it.  

I served it with a simple salad of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber.  I am not a fan of dressings so I usually leave them off.  Another side was half a yam, cut into fries and roasted in the oven.

Now, where are those eggs?  Got me some boiling to do!  

 (photo found online)

19 comments:

Adam said...

cute egg art

Debbie said...

Looks yummy but I am more interested in the "sides"!! Are those sweet potato wedges on the plate, with that adorable looking salad??

Kay said...

That looks very much like how we would want to cook salmon. Yummy! If I wasn't around, Art would be cooking eggplant everyday.

Valerie said...

Today is salmon day for me... might just try that sauce. Many thanks.

EG CameraGirl said...

How clever of you to take the time to treat yourself while Greg was away!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a rimely post for us, Denise, as salmon is on our dinner menu tonite and thankfully we goth enjoy it. I was planning a similar marinade, but will ditch that one and use yours instead. Our meal will include sauteed veggirs and a side salad.

Mimsie said...

That sounds so delicious but salmon is $30/kg here in Perth so would have to be for a very special occasion. I take it by yam you mean what we call sweet potato or kumara which we eat as a vegetable nearly every day.
I love the pic of the eggs. Some people are so inventive aren't they? That reminds me, I've not had a hard boiled egg for years. A bit late now but perhaps next summer egg salads may be the order of the day. Thanks for reminding me.

Linda said...

I like the sound of the marinade for the salmon. (I have soy sauce in the cupboard but don't use it often so thank you for the idea to use it this way).

Lady Lilith said...

Yum. I like to add soy sauce to everything. Adds nice flavor :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Way to make the most of Greg's temporary absence! This looks yummy (and we both love salmon).

I am definitely with you on the licorice. Yuk.

Ginny said...

This recipe sounds wonderful. We love salmon and I have printed it to try. I can't wait. I always cook mine the same old way...poach on the stove top with chicken broth, dill, and lemon. Then serve over rice. This will be a nice change and something different. The eggs are adorable!

Em Parkinson said...

M hates salmon which drives me mad! This looks so delicious. x

William Kendall said...

I admit, I'm not that fond of seafood, but one could adjust for meat.

Ranita Sinha said...

It looks yum and since fish are my all time favourites I am surely going to try it..thanks for sharing Denise

eileeninmd said...

I love salmon and have tired it prepared this way. It is delicious.. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your week!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I have anice miso salmon recipe that combines OJ,soy scarce, brown sugar and miso as a marinade. Ordinarily, I don't like salmon, but this marinade makes it palatable for me. Your salmon looks tasty as do your cute little eggs.

Willow said...

The header is beautiful.
Looks like a great meal.
I HAVE to make some of those eggs lol

pattisjarrett said...

Cute eggs! Nice food photography, those yams look yummy. I'm not a big fan of salmon, but you make it look good.

Tanya Breese said...

oh that looks good...nick doesn't like salmon either for some reason, i love it though! funny, we do the same things when he's out of town, eat all those things he won't!