Monday, April 21, 2014

A touch of whimsy - The Fairy Garden


"When the first baby laughed
For the first time, 
Its laugh broke into a thousand pieces
And they all went skipping about
And that was the beginning of fairies."

~Peter Pan~


 "Who knows what secrets fairies like to keep.
Perhaps they whisper about the follies of humankind"

~Fairy Secrets - Brian Froud~


 "Blessed are those who see things in humble places,
Where other people see nothing."

~Author unknown~


 "Garden fairies come at dawn,
Bless the flowers and then are gone."

~Author Unknown~


 "And though you should live
In a palace of gold,
Or sleep in a dried up ditch,
You never could be as poor
As the fairies are,
And never as rich."

~Rose Fyleman~


"Some day you will be old enough
To start reading about fairytales again."

~C. S. Lewis~


"Did you know,
hanging a spray of primroses on your door
is an invitation for fairies to come into your home
and bring fairy blessings?"

~Author Unknown~


"Children, children, don't forget
There are elves and fairies yet.
Where the knotty Hawthorne grows
Look for prints of fairy toes.
Where the grassy rings are green,
Moonlight dances will be seen.
Watch and wait, oh lucky you,
If you find a fairy shoe:
For a ransom he will pay
Hobbling barefoot all the day.
Lay it on his mushroom seat,
Wish your wish and go your way.
If your wish should be discreet,
Never fear but he will pay."

~Dora Owen~


"Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have."

~Author Unknown~


"Admit it, we all need books
and fairy dust once in a while."

~Author Unknown~


"Down along the rocky shore, 
Some make their home.
They live on crispy pancakes 
Of yellow-tide foam.
Some in the reeds 
Of the black mountain lake,
With frogs for their watchdogs,
All night awake."

~Excerpt from The Fairies by William Allingham~
(You can read the rest of the poem here.)




Down along the rocky shore
Some make their home,
They live on crispy pancakes
Of yellow tide-foam;
Some in the reeds
Of the black mountain lake,
With frogs for their watch-dogs,
All night awake.

Read more at http://www.poetry-archive.com/a/the_fairies.html#UlT7OpdpIZVRRRYp.99
"Mist-clad in the light of the moon,
Starspun seekers I search for thee!
Faery light I ask they boon
Of branch and thorn and Elder tree!
Wood woven creatures, shadow weavers
River keepers come to me!
Just beyond reaching, never in keeping
Spirits of Faery I call unto thee.
Wind-hewn wildness, dark and brightness,
Spiral enchantments born of the sky.
Cradle me with Elven hands,
Abide with me, thy human child!"

~W. B. Yeats~ 



I hope you've enjoyed my touch of whimsy today.  I found this very special fairy garden at Meadowlark Gardens in Vienna, Virginia.



Down along the rocky shore
Some make their home,
They live on crispy pancakes
Of yellow tide-foam;
Some in the reeds
Of the black mountain lake,
With frogs for their watch-dogs,
All night awake.

Read more at http://www.poetry-archive.com/a/the_fairies.html#UlT7OpdpIZVRRRYp.99

25 comments:

Kay said...

This is so adorable! I love it! Gives all the little garden creatures a place to frolic.

Sandra said...

i am in love with the gourd house and the gourd house that looks like a teapot... what a beautiful fairy Garden.. i love a good fairy tale... a little bit jealous...

maryaustria said...

I´m not such a great fairy fan, but this little garden is lovely. I like your new header! :)

Karen said...

Oh Denise, my granddaughter and I really enjoyed your photos. We were just reading a book about fairies today. Lovely shots, thanks for sharing!

SeagullSuzie said...

This reminds me of my favourite fairy stories by Enid Blyton, The Enchanted Wood, thank you for bringing this back to my memory.

Cloudia said...

Wonderful post and Spring tonic!



Aloha

William Kendall said...

Wow! That's marvelous and quite an effort, no doubt, putting it all together!

Elephant's Child said...

Such fun.

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Ginny said...

Wonderful, wonderful!! Each and every precious thing!!! And I AM of the age to start reading all the fairy tales again. Hi, I am Ginny and come from Madsnapper.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love this post Denise. Wonderful poems all...the ones I remember from reading to my children (and from my own childhood) and the ones that are new to me. And your photos make terrific illustrations . I think I've reached the age where I can read about fairy tales again ... and I want to put a bouquet of primroses on my door!

Carole M. said...

...quaint and unique and fun, especially for the little ones who get to visit. As a young child Enid Blyton's Enchanted Wood was my favourite book; it was full of whimsy

Susan said...

Oh how simply delightful Denise - it was wonderful to get back into Fairy mode again. This is a gorgeous post :D)

eileeninmd said...

The Fairy Garden is so cute! Lovely images and wonderful quotes! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your new week!

Willow said...

What fun ~ I love a fairy garden !
Delightful quotes too.

Gail said...

This is beautiful. Sandra sent me over to see your gourd art work.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love fairy gardens, this one is so magical !
I'd like to live in that little teapot gourd, just like the fairies :)
Sweet garden, awesome pictures.
~Jo

Beatrice Euphemie said...

What an enchanted fairy garden! The quotes are wonderful, too. xo Karen

Valerie said...

Delightful post, Denise. The quote I liked the best is ' "Blessed are those who see things in humble places, Where other people see nothing."

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi you had spent a lot of time creating this fairy garden. Great fun and I am sure children would love it.

Gail Dixon said...

The fairy garden is so cute!! The little ballerina is so special. Those red and yellow flowers are pretty awesome, too.

Kay said...

This is such a fun garden. Thank you giving me a smile today.

Naquillity said...

i am in love with this fairy garden... is this in your yard or somewhere else? it's beautiful, whimsical... hope all is well.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

What a beautiful fairy garden. I would love some of those ornaments dotted around my garden! Great selection of quotes too.

kissed by an angel said...

Oh Denise, I love fairies so much and I love your enchanted post with all these beautiful photos of cute fairy houses and so many lovely qoutes!!!
That little garden also reminds me of the wonderful movie 'Fairy Tale: A True Story'...so beautiful :)