Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A poem

Wind-swept and fire-swept and swept with bitter rain,
This was the world I came to when I came across the sea.
Sun-drenched and panting, a pregnant, waiting plain
Calling out to humankind, calling out to me!

Leafy lanes and gentle skies and little fields all green,
This was the world I came from when I fared across the sea.
The mansion and the village and the farmhouse in between,
Never any room for more, never room for me!

I've fought the wind and braved it; I cringe to it no more!
I've fought the creeping fire back and cheered to see it die.
I've shut the bitter rain outside and safe within my door,
Laughed to think I feared a thing not so strong as I!

I mind the long, white road that ran between the hedgerows neat,
In that little, strange old world I left behind me long ago,
I mind the air so full of bells at evening, far and sweet -
All and all for someone else - I had leave to go!

It cost a tear to leave it, but here across the sea,
With miles and miles of unused sky, and miles of unturned loam,
And miles of room for someone else, and miles of room for me,
I've found a bigger meaning for the little world called "Home."


Isabel Ecclestone Mackay
"The Homesteader"

24 comments:

Cloudia said...

Very Nice post





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral

=^..^= <3

Elephant's Child said...

Such a brave move - and no doubt a reality for rather a lot of migrants.
Beautiful - and thank you.

Valerie said...

I was wrapped up in this... lovely poem.

SeagullSuzie said...

A beautiful poem.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh how lovely. Your photo perfectly illustrates that poignant verse. Abandoned homes/farms are intriguing to me (one of the things that make me yell 'stop' when we're on the road). I always make up stories in my head about them. (But certainly nowhere near as beautifully as this poet did).

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The poem could well describe your own journey, Denise. The photos were a lovely accompaniment.

Jane and Chris said...

I try to imagine being a pioneer...I'd fail.
Jane x

Sandra said...

beautiful and poignant poem..fits perfectly with your photos...

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Ah homesteaders, my family. Love your poem. Dianne

TexWisGirl said...

fits very well with the images.

Adam said...

nice poem

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Great shots to illustrate this p.oem

Ranita Sinha said...

Such beautiful verse that I was literally visualising every word and every situation..thanks for sharing Denise..

William Kendall said...

Strong imagery in that poem. Your photos compliment it perfectly.

Karen said...

Perfect photos to accompany the verse.

Don Wood said...

Beautiful words they make you think dont they.

Lady Lilith said...

Very true. We all find comfort in our little homes.

Brian King said...

Beautiful scenery!

eileeninmd said...

The poem is perfect for your images.. Well done, Denise! Enjoy your week and happy April!

Gail Dixon said...

Love these vintage photos!!

Colleen@Looseleafnotes said...

Born Bostonian but Virginian for 35 years. I relate.

Marie said...

Wonderful poem! And great accompanying photos.

NatureFootstep said...

once upon a time!

Carver said...

Beautiful shots and I love the way the poem worked with them.