Sunday, April 6, 2014

A food post - A healthy Shrimp Scampi




As we are trying to put more seafood into our week I went on the look-out for Shrimp recipes.  I found this one at Smoke 'N Grilled, and you can find the original recipe here.  If you are a Scampi aficionado, don't let the word 'healthy' put you off, it was delicious!

Easy and Healthy Shrimp Scampi by Curt - makes 4 servings

4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/4 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on.
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine (we used a Sauvignon Blanc)
 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon parsley (the extra tablespoon will be used for a garnish)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 lemon wedges

In a large nonstick skillet heat the oil.  Saute the shrimp until just pink, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.  With a slotted spoon transfer the shrimp to a platter and keep them warm.  I put them in a 250 degree oven and for the short time they were in there, it seemed to work well.

In the skillet, combine the broth, wine, lemon juice, 1/4 cup parsley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.

Boil, uncovered, until the sauce is reduced by half.  Spoon the sauce over the shrimp.  Serve garnished with the lemon wedges and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of parsley.



What did we think of this dish?  Having not tried this recipe before I wasn't sure what to expect but we thought it was a delicious meal, and served it with a mixed green salad. 

I stopped buying cooking wine years ago after listening to a food channel show.  The chef stated the reason he wouldn't use it in a recipe was because he preferred a good wine that enhanced the dish, and why not also drink a glass with the meal?  Made good sense to me.  We enjoyed our glass of Sauvignon Blanc tonight.  It was a good choice, thanks to the gentleman who was stocking the shelves at the supermarket.  He asked us if we needed any help and when we told him what we were looking for, he said that we couldn't go wrong buying the one we were holding, that it was an excellent wine.

Squeezing the lemon over the shrimp added a nice zing.

There are enough shrimp left to be put into a  salad for tomorrow's lunch/dinner.  

24 comments:

  1. I love shrimp just about any way they can be cooked and this looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shrimp scampi and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, Denise, this is MY kind of meal! (I also love some lemon zest, and coriander flavours added). A friend recently made a nice side-salad to a fish dish, mixed leaves i.e. baby beetroot, rocket, lettuces etc, with coriander added plus segments of pink grapefruit. A little dish of egg-mayonnaise with lemon zest, and those were great flavours too. I got side-tracked didn't I? Those prawns/shrimp would've been a great meal especially with the glass of white on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks too yummy ...I am having a huge shrimp craving now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, it looks so good. I like your comments about the wine used too - makes sense :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I agree about using a good wine for cooking and for a glass with the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll leave it to you! I've got a bit of an aversion to seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE shrimp, breaded and fried *sigh*!! I need to eat healthier!! This does look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can has scampi!

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral

    =^..^= <3


    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so yummy and shrimps are my favourite too..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good - and leftovers are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to eat shrimp. It doesn't matter it should be cooked like this! Love to eat it anyway.
    Your picture make be feel hunger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must be hungry; I don't usually sit reading recipes at this time in the morning! But that sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I would love this dish, Denise. Wondering now if I could serve it to Joe. His taste-buds are not what they were and I'm looking for different things to interest him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, I love any kind of shrimp! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is perfect timing for tonite's dinner, Denise, as I am defrosint shrimp as I post this comment..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a Florida meal to me (and we do shrimp kind of like this, but you gave me some great additional suggestions)! Agree totally about using good wine. My friend has a sign that says "I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put in the food."

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds divine. Wow, it looks good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always looking for healthier versions of my favorite foods and this sounds perfect. I never thought about cooking wine vs drinking wine--makes complete sense! Thank you for these food tips and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks and sounds incredibly delicious! I will have to try it. My mouth is watering! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks yumm and healthy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so good but M won't eat seafood damn him! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fantastic! We love shrimp at my house! My 7 year old says it is his favorite food.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.