Monday, March 17, 2014

A Monday Ramble....



This Saturday my friends and I got together again for the live televised opera from the NY Met.  This time it was Massenet’s "Werther" with Jonas Kaufmann in the starring role and Sophie Koch as Charlotte.  It was wonderful though when you see these televised performances you sometimes lose the satellite connection and right at the end the sound went out, but fortunately there were subtitles.  We could at least read the words.  The opera ended and that’s when the sound came back, when the performers took their bows on stage.   Surprisingly the audience in our theater didn’t react negatively, it was just accepted and I suppose most of us had been going long enough to realize there was nothing that one could do, it was out of everyone’s hands.  This happened all around the world, theaters all over America and in 66 countries.  Amazing!  However, we had seen most of the opera and it was superb!

The seven of us headed to a restaurant we always go to afterwards and enjoyed a delicious meal.  Mine was Pecan-encrusted Tilapia with Asparagus.  



Because people had to travel some distance home, the evening ended relatively early.  There were no hints from the staff whose body language can speak volumes.  This restaurant gets very, very crowded.  Fortunately we arrived early enough that we didn't have to wait for a table, but when we left there were many people in the foyer waiting for theirs.  One friend stayed the night at our place.  When we got home Gregg greeted us and the three of us settled down to a lovely evening of conversation, finishing off with a glass of port and some English Stilton and Cheddar Cheese.  

The next morning after only toast for breakfast, the three of us headed out to our favorite British Pasty shop and bought some goodies, our prize was the Chocolate Easter Eggs because we knew they would sell out quickly and last year we left it too late.  My friend bought two for her grandchildren. Traditionally my family Easter always had these confections and I remember them as far into my childhood as I can go. Once we got back to the house we had lunch, and my friend headed home shortly afterwards.  

In the afternoon I fell off to sleep for a couple of hours, not realizing I was in for a long nap but I didn't go to bed until 2.00 a.m. the night before and we got up pretty early.



On Friday I finished my latest novel, Louise Penny's "How The Light Gets In".  I have read all her novels in this series, the main character being Chief Inspector Armand Gamache who works at the Surete du Quebec.  If you enjoy a really excellent detective story I can highly recommend these.  This is the tenth book in the series, I have read them all and  I didn't drift once.  All her characters come to life as each page is turned, and many are repeated in subsequent reads.  The first in the series is "Still Life", and in my humble opinion I would start from the beginning.  I eagerly await her next book, "The Long Way Home".

I am setting this up to appear at midnight and as I write (at 8.00 p.m.) it is snowing, again!  Looking on the band on the weather map not long ago, we are in the 2 to 5 inch range.  It will be interesting to see what we wake up to in the morning.

The photo at the top shows my friend and me in the pasty shop.  I'm the one with the pony tail and my friend is in the orange jacket. I'm thinking I need to get a good hair cut as I haven't had it this long for many years.  I didn't realize Gregg had taken a photo until he sent it in an e-mail and I opened it when I got home.  He enjoys taking candid shots and likes to surprise me.  He also keeps telling me he likes my hair just the way it is, to which I say just like the beard he grew a couple of months ago, I will have to get it cut eventually.

That's about it for this weekend.  Hope you all have had a good one and will have a great week ahead.

25 comments:

  1. Denise, I would give an arm and a leg to see Jonas Kaufmann as Werther. I have a wildly expensive ticket to see him in concert in Sydney. Its a 24 hr. train journey and I will stay with my son and family and then endure the long train trip again but oh, it will be worth it! His voice, especially in the lower registers stirs my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. And, you are the second person today to direct me to Louise Penny's books. It seems like a sign...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm a fan of opera but I can't say definitely because I've never seen a performance. It's okay, I'm young yet. :)

    I am a fan of Tlapia. When the kids drop by I always ask if they are hungry and the answer is usually yes. If I have Tlapia in the freezer, I plug up the deep fryer and while the oil is heating I mix up a quick batter and in 10 to 15 minutes, fish and fries are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a fun weekend. Include me in on the port and Stilton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to go to the theatre with a group of friends and then have dinner together. We have those operas here too in the boutique theatres. We have never been but have contemplated it occasionally. Your snacks from the store sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ramble, Denise. I do enjoy reading them. What a shame about the final part of the opera not being heard. Thank goodness it was the end and not half way through.

    I haven't heard of Louse Penny's books but as I like detective stories I will see if Amazon UK have any of hers. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise, sounds like you had a lovely evening with your friends.. The tilapia looks delicious. The pastry shop visit sounds delish too. Thanks for sharing the novel, I will look for it.. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. talapia, chocolate, friends oh my... sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that was a real shocker no sound.
    At end but at end but that is always the part most people enjoy.

    Oh your meal looks good.

    I adore asparagus. Is that feathered spaghetti.

    What a light and fancy plate.

    I must see if there was dessert.

    Glad you had a nice time.

    I felt that way when I seen Rita McNeil in concert. Oh she was a honey. Her voices so nice and her wee dancing with no shoes on half way. She will be singing with the angels on Patty's day I suppose in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i recognized you standing there. easter eggs! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can live without opera, but not gorgeous and delicious fish! I'll have to check out Penny's books, cause I love a good mystery. And a series! Goodie goodie! What a great tale of sharing good times with friends. PS, I like longer hair, especially with all the ways we can tuck it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great time you had! don't you hate when you finish a good book? i'm so anxious to get through it but a little sad when i'm done! we ended up with maybe 2 inches...first they were saying we were in the 4-8 zone...they are so confused this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Modern technology is wonderful, until it doesn't work. But I'm glad you were able to enjoy the opera anyway. We got some chocolate Easter eggs last year. I hadn't had one in years and thought it was almost too sweet to be good. I don't remember that complaint as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pictures and I'm glad that you enjoy your weekend. hmmmm I need to try more asparagus in my meals!Thanks for the ideas!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an amazing weekend! Sorry for the sound problems, but you didn't let it bother you. A glass of wine afterwards with good friends is always a great way to end an evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I like the Werther by Massenet!
    Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds a wonderful weekend and thank you for sharing it with us.

    I absolutely love the Gamache series and also can't wait for the next one. I've actually been following Louise Penny on FB, something I've never ever done with anyone before. Yes, people MUST read these in order.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The detective series sounds excellent. I'm going to check a couple out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your meal looked really yummy! Thanks for the blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well now, I will have to add her to my list of authors to check out! Thanks for the thumbs up..I love detective novels, especially series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my kinda day, filled with fun!! the meal looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun time. The tilapia looks great. I will check out this book. I am just about burden out on WWI. ~D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Denise, your weekend sounded just great.
    Love your photos, your meal looked so good.
    Thanks for the recommendation about Louse Penny's writing. I shall look for her first book and start from there. I love a good series :D)

    ReplyDelete
  24. the meal looks so delicious.

    thanks for sharing this great recipe, denise!
    happy st. patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I expect my mother would have loved that opera.

    ReplyDelete