Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A follow on of the theme from yesterday, sort of.....from the Southwest to the East Coast.


I liked this sign, when I read all of it, it made me laugh.  We visited Sebastian several years ago.  Back then we remember it as a lovely, quiet little town. 

As you can see by the sign it is the home of Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge (link here), home to over 100 species of birds.  On March 14th, 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt designated it as the Nation's first National Wildlife Refuge. This was the first time the federal government set aside land for the sake of wildlife.  Now there are more than 530 refuges on nearly 95 million acres of the nation's most important wildlife habitats.  

When we drove through the town making our way north, we didn't take a ride over to the island.  On this part of our road trip we were mostly intent on looking at places we had never seen before, and there have been many other beautiful habitats to explore.  To protect the birds you are not allowed to get off the boat, and the boat isn't allowed to get too close to the island - binoculars would be a good idea.  It's a pleasant ride over and it's fun to see the pelicans and other birds overtaking the boat as they make their way home to roost at the end of the day, often with nesting material in their beaks. The town seemed busier and more built up than when we were there all those years ago, like everywhere else it is growing.  I daresay there will be another ride over to Pelican Island in our future, maybe on our next trip south.

As for the sign, not exactly like the old west theme from yesterday but I envisaged those six old grouches wearing their long-johns, if they were born out west that is.  They wouldn't exactly need them in the Floridian climate.  I am glad Sebastian is still full of friendly people but I would love to know who those six old grouches are.  I bet they have quite a few tales to tell.

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful place to see... even with six grouches among the populace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sign. I think one of those old grouches escaped to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old enough and have tried at times to be an old grouch but for some reason have just been unable to pull it off. I'm gonna keep tryin'. :) :( :(
    So far the only progress I'm made is purchasing long johns...

    The island must be great...after all it was the inspiration for the sign...like the front door of a happy home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. And I suspect I could be classified as a grouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute sign! Nice pics




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral

    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow this reminds me of a sign seen in a cafe in Thetford, Norfolk - "Everyone who passes through this door brings us happiness - some as they enter, some as they leave"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise that sigh is hilarious. Yes I would like to know who the 6 were!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How quaint... I too bet those old grouches have some good yarns to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you have to find out who the old grouches are

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, I was hoping you'd solved the mystery of the six grouches..lol. Time will tell if you discover who they were and how they acquired their grouchy name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, those 6 grouchy people might be the folks that run things, I'm thinking...thus willing to take the jibe at their attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the sign, we could use one like it at the YMCA, it is 60 percent elderly people like me... and their are for sure at least 6 old grouches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute sign! And I love that photo of the long johns in the previous post. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So forward thinking of Theodore Roosevelt to designate a wildlife refuge! He certainly would not win Grouch status for his kindly stance on an issue that is more relevant now than ever before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, inquiring minds want to know who the groucnes are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have so many of these NWFs in Louisiana and I really didn't know much about them until moving back here. This is one area of government that I am all for; preserving wildlife habitats. Love that sign! Who are the six grouches, though? lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol. Thanks for sharing and making me laugh as well. Whoever came up with it is super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Denise, I love the sign. It is so funny. I would love to see this place! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. reminds me of the song....signs, signs, everywhere there's signs!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute -- if you get on their good side the old grouches often have the best stories!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Over 5,000 acres, that's some nature reserve.

    ReplyDelete