Monday, March 3, 2014

A few bird photos and a Monday Ramble


The weekend was a busy one.  On Saturday I met up with my friends.  We went to see another televised live performance from the New York Met at our local movie theater.  It was Dmitri Tcherniakov's opera, Prince Igor and Ildar Abdrazakov starred in the title role and Oksana Dyka played his wife.  The whole production was absolutely marvelous and the time went swiftly.  I especially loved the poppy field scene, a splendid visual.  It would be super to see an actual performance in New York, but what I enjoy about these televised versions is that not only are several performers interviewed but you can also see what goes on behind the scenes.  It amazes me how quickly the sets can be taken apart.  To us out in the audience they do it with such ease.  Always impressive to see how well people can work together to perform monumental tasks.


A last minute decision had us all coming back to our place for the evening.  I suggested that it might be nice just to order Chinese food, and then we could settle down to a fun evening of conversation, without feeling rushed out of a restaurant.   We had a super time and everyone left at around 11.00 p.m. One of my friends stayed the night and she and I chatted until almost 1.00 p.m.  We were up again early and the next morning it was almost noon before she left for home.  What a great time we had.  


At around 2.30 p.m. our son arrived.  We were all getting together to watch the Oscars that evening. Our daughter-in-law and an old school friend of hers joined us a few hours later.  I'm not sure whether Gregg and I would have stayed up to watch if we hadn't had our family here, but it has become a tradition and the third year in a row that we have done this.  We all settled down to enjoy another evening of good conversation, while watching the TV and the events surrounding the Oscars.  It was a whole lot of fun and they didn't leave until midnight.   Fortunately the snow didn't start until the wee hours of the morning and they were all safely tucked up in their beds by that time.  It is nice that the weather co-operated and didn't spoil our evening tradition.  


This morning we slept in and woke up to a completely covered neighborhood with about five inches of snow.  Not so bad really. Gregg has already shoveled the driveway.  He said there wasn't as much moisture and it seemed a lot lighter than the last time.   The snowplow has been through the neighborhood, so thank you for helping to keep our roads clear when the snow is still falling. In fact, all the people who have to be out in all kinds of weather to keep us safe need a good pat on the back and our gratitude.  



We had lots of birds visiting the feeders and I see they need to be filled again.  


The new feeder is working out well.  The squirrels tried their best to get at the seed but it's proven too difficult for them, they can't quite get a good grasp and they rely on the peanuts I throw out first thing.


 I am sure the birds are happy that they don't have to compete. 


 So that's what's been going on this weekend.  I hope you've all had a good one and that you're week ahead will be great.


30 comments:

  1. You guys had more snow than we did, our birds feed off of the small bits that the chickens leave. The cardinals love the bits of corn. I like the way the bird flitted off the feeder in the next to last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all of your snowy birds. glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely birds and you have been having a nice time with friends and family isn't it great? I can't believe you are still getting snow. Poor gregg having to shovel it. I guess it keeps him fit and young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely birds and you have been having a nice time with friends and family isn't it great? I can't believe you are still getting snow. Poor gregg having to shovel it. I guess it keeps him fit and young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love photographing in a falling snow! These are nice! The first shot of the cardinal is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cold out there and you pick up some adorable bird photos Denise. Sounds like a fun-filled couple days/nights with friends and family events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a couple of nice get togethers over the weekend. It was nice of the snow to hold off. We got the same today, also had lots of birds at the feeders but the very unwelcome starlings and grackles. You really had a nice and colorful assortment of feeder visitors, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots of the birds!

    My mother, no doubt, would have loved that opera. She went in her younger years with regularity to see opera, but I don't think she got to any of those showings theatres do of performances from New York.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic photos ! Glad you had a great time with your friends sounds like a wonderful weekend had by all . Thanks for sharing . Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had as much fun this weekend as I had at the birthday weekend. Loved the pictures of the all the birds ith the snow. Especially like the one taking flight...some neat detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a busy but wonderful weekend. Love your birdie photos. We had ice/snow today--and my birds were busy at the feeders too.

    Great post.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have had a busy time. I am glad it was so much fun - and love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos of the birds and the snow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun weekend! Terrific bird captures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive winter in your place, the birds are brave, looks so cold outside.Your pictures are wonderful!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denise, you have a nice variety of birds at your new feeder. I love the cute wren. I did not watch the Oscars. I am hoping this snow stops and we have some warm weather.. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The squirrels try to pull our bird feeders apart, even standing on their heads (it seems. Loved your ramble, Denise, and on the subject of changing scenery, we went on a tour of the new Stratford Theatre where they demonstrated that very thing. Seconds, it seemed, to press buttons and let us watch things being lowered and others shifted. Amazing technology.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did enjoy the bird shots!
    Jane x
    PS Please keep your snow, we have enough!

    ReplyDelete
  19. all the bird photos are beautiful and what a wonderful way to spend times with friends...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like my kind of weekend! Yay for fun with friends. You got lots of great shots of the birds. Love the wren!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pictures of birds !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  22. they seem to eat more when it snows!! beautiful captures, i am lucky to see all these birds in my back yard as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the photos of the birds, especially the action shots. I love it that you had such a great time with your friends. And you stayed up till 1:00 talking? I can't remember the last time I did that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What for beautiful and colourful birds you have in Amerika and you took wonderful pictures of these cute little tots.
    I hope spring is coming soon in your town, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely time you had with your friends.Love the birds in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's my cardinal. I so love that I've been in a place for a couple of months now where I can actually enjoy cardinals in my host's backyard. And squirrels. And owls. And feral cats, starlings, and robins. The place is a veritable zoo.

    ReplyDelete