Wednesday, February 12, 2014

NATURE NOTES

Not so long ago I wrote about the Manatee we found at the Fanning Springs State Park.  You can find that post here.  


There were other species, we also found turtles.  They were interesting and caught our attention momentarily.  People we met said they were snapping turtles, but thanks to William at Ottawa Daily Photo I now know they are not.  Thanks William!  I like turtles but there was a young Manatee in the spring and we had never seen one before.  He at that time was our main focus.


All the time we were visiting with him.....



and you can go here to see what a manatee really looks like....



 we kept hearing splashing sounds, one after the other.  By the time we swiveled around we couldn't see anything, just the very large circular ripples they had left.  In the meantime the turtles basked in the sun, and our larger friend kept us entertained.


This is the kind of place that if there had been a deckchair, I would have gratefully sunk into it and fallen asleep, caressed by the  warmth of the sun, the gentle sounds of the spring, even the splashing had become a rhythmic serenade.  There were bird calls in the trees and a few ducks made their presence known, but like the birds they were too far away to get a photo.  


As yet unidentified, the splashing continued and eventually we noticed very large fish swimming nearby.


There were dozens of them.  Gregg remarked how much my Dad would have loved to come to this fishing hole.


He would have been thrilled to see all those fish, but Dad didn't catch any big ones and he didn't care, to him it was the journey, the experience of fishing.


After observing these for a considerable time the penny dropped.  We saw several jump out of the water, at least three or four feet above the surface.





With the source of the splashing identified I set out to take a picture of a fish flying through the air, and I wasn't going to leave until I had at least captured something.  I have patience, I can wait.


  Darn it, missed again! You have no idea how many times I missed but focused like a laser I was.


So close!  It took a while, if I was pointing one way the jump would happen behind me, to the side of me, everywhere but where I was pointing my lens.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say those fish were laughing at me.


Finally!  It's not the greatest picture but it's a good memory and I was able to leave the park before nightfall!  Yes I am joking, I don't think I would have had the patience to wait that long, and Gregg would have dragged me out of there way before then.  He keeps me grounded.


You can visit Fanning Springs State Park if you click here.


Thank you for hosting Michelle, always a pleasure when I find something to join in with this lovely meme.

Please visit other Nature Notes lovers here.



32 comments:

Willow said...

This is marvelous !!
Thanks so much for sharing it.
I love that header too.

TexWisGirl said...

how neat to see the fish jump!

eileeninmd said...

What a love place to visit, I love all the nature scenes and critters. The jumping fish are cool. Have a great evening!

NatureFootstep said...

such a gorgeous and interesting place. Well wort a visit or two. :)

gigihawaii said...

That is so incredible, Denise. I don't believe I have ever witnessed a flying fish ever.

Mary said...

What a wonderful place! Gorgeous shots!

fredamans said...

WOW! Look at that fish jump!

Elephant's Child said...

What a magical place. Thank you so very much.

Brian King said...

Those are indeed some big fish. I'm curious as to what they are. Nice shots!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And I would have waited too for a chance to see a fish fly, Denise!

Adam said...

I wonder how fish feel when they jump out into open air. Must be surreal

William Kendall said...

Lovely!

I don't know what kind those are, but they're not snappers. Snapping turtles are built like a tank, and they can move pretty fast when they want to! I speak from experience...

Kalantikan said...

That is a lovely post of a lovely experience, you let us be with you along while waiting for the big jump! Did you put the camera settings on multiple shots or bursts? By the way, i thought manatees are marine fish.

Cloudia said...

you did it!! Loved this post, D



ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

=^..^=

Carletta said...

What a beautiful natural environment!
My Grandpa fished as much as he could. Sometimes he'd catch enough for dinner but at other times he was just fishing for fishing sake. I think he liked the peacefulness and the time it gave him for internal reflection.

Valerie said...

I'd never heard of these until the other day. I'm so glad you found them, and so many at that. Excellent captures, you did well to persevere!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Fantastic - what a catch! Just shows it pays to have patience Denise. The whole area looks just lovely. A x

EG CameraGirl said...

YAY! Your patience paid off! I think this is the kind of place I'd like to visit.

A Cuban In London said...

This is a visual feast for my eyes. You've made my early evening. Thanks a lot.

Manatee=manati in Spanish.

Greetings from London.

Gail Dixon said...

Yay, your persistence paid off! I would've been the same, waiting and waiting. The water is so clear--amazing. Love that first shot, too. The reflection is gorgeous.

ladyfi said...

A manatee - how awesome. What lovely, lush shots!

Marie said...

What an exquisite place to go to! I would love to sit and savor all the sights and sounds and the warmth of the sun on my face as well! And those flying fish. So cool!

SeagullSuzie said...

Well done for capturing that jumping fish image.

Terri @ Backward B Ranch said...

I would have waited a long time to capture that too...beautiful photos of a beautiful place.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Love those fish!! Dianne

Linda Gross said...

I am glad you got your flying fish picture. I was having a similar problem today trying to catch birds with wings fanned out.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love this post. We see those fish in our canal sometimes even...and I've NEVER ever been able to get a picture. Your pictures really capture the feel of the Florida we love ... not the Miami/Orlando touristy part ... but the Old Natural State. Love it... so glad you had fun here.

Jen said...

I missed the manatees when I went to Florida. Oh well, a reason to return. I'm glad you finally got a picture of the fish jumping. Good job!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh Happy Valentines Day Denise.... I needed some warmth near water and here I am... I like your Father's belief that it is the journey.... I agree.... Michelle

kissed by an angel said...

Every time it's such a great pleasure for me to read your travelogues!!! I love the way you write...Your words make me smile and I always can see all the events in front of my inner eye!!!
You have taken beautiful photos, too!
Enjoy a wonderful weekend, dear Denise!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

You do find the most lovely spots to watch nature...and so much nature.

Kay said...

I really love that first photo. It looks like a painting. What an amazing place to visit.