Monday, February 17, 2014

Meeting Blog Friends Dorothy and Pat from The Frog and the PenguINN

Last Thursday, February 13th, we had a wonderful hour-and-a-half Facetime conversation with Dorothy and Pat from The Frog and the PenguINN.  They were in the area for a few days visiting family and friends.  I have been enjoying Dorothy's blog for a couple of years and it was lovely to have the opportunity to get together.  I invited them over for lunch but best laid plans of mice and men, it snowed!  It was the most we had seen so far this winter, only a little over a foot but enough to snarl up traffic.  


However, it was really neat to be able to chat while they were in their hotel room on FaceTime.  It's still a novelty for me to be able to do that and the conversation flowed on both sides.  The above photo is a screen shot I took.  I'm leaning in because I am trying to take the photo, but I thought I had cut us off and my face shows how relieved I was that I hadn't.  I knew immediately that if we could have such a great time conversing this way, then we would have an even greater time meeting face to face.

That was to be on Valentine's Day.  Looking outside, the snow plow had only left enough room for one lane, with definitely no room for parking anywhere, and we realized it was a no go for them coming here for lunch, which was disappointing.  Gregg had cleared as much snow as he could and we were able to get the car out of our driveway.  Driving in the neighborhood was okay as long as you took it easy, and once we got on the main road everything was safe for driving.  

We picked Dorothy and Pat up at their hotel and right off we felt like old friends.  They are a great couple, warm, friendly with a great sense of humor that fit right in with ours.  We had a short car tour around DC and was able to find a parking spot just behind the American Indian Museum, which we walked around for a little while.  From there we walked over to the Air and Space Museum, and from there we stopped off for dinner on the way back to their hotel.  

Here are a few photos from our day together.














Thank you Dorothy and Pat for a super get-together.  

25 comments:

Carletta said...

Always nice getting together with friends!
I know my son said he had been off work because of the snow. I'm glad you found a way to get together.
My little Grandson loves the space museum.

David Oliver said...

Wow! This makes me believe you really can tell what kind of people you are befriending when blogging.

Y'all look so happy together. It must have been great fun.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How fun to relieve our day through your post, Denise. We had a great time as well and now consider ourselves so fortunate to have 2 added friends in the DC area fork future visits. And, of course, there's always FaceTime chats in between and we are "newbies" at it as well.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, it is great you were able to get together with your blogging friends. Sounds like a nice outing around the museum and dinner. Have a happy day!

A Cuban In London said...

What a lovely post! :-) Loved the vibe running through it.

Greetings from London.

Jane and Chris said...

Meeting a blog friend always feels like meeting an old friend...the wonders of technology!
Jane x

SeagullSuzie said...

What a lovely day.

TexWisGirl said...

how great to spend time with other bloggers. :)

Penelope Puddlisms said...

I, too, have met fellow bloggers and it has always been fantastic to meet face-to-face. It might have been cold and snowy in your neck of the woods but it sure looks as if you all have a warm and wonderful time.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Denise Well that all turned out great. Isn't the IPAD great with free facetime and Skype. Great to m meet other bloggers

Em Parkinson said...

I've only met two bloggy friends but it was such a lovely experience. So glad you had a good time.

gigihawaii said...

Glad you all had such a good time. Loved that photo of the pelicans in your previous post, too. We have been stuck at home due to constant rain, but good news is that we could turn off the lawn sprinklers and save water and money. Hope you all have a pleasant holiday today.

Gail Dixon said...

It's so special to meet a blogging friend. I never thought of doing Facetime...need to try that someday. Glad you were able to get together despite the weather. :)

diane b said...

That must have been fun even though the snow tried to thwart your meeting. I bet you were the perfect hosts just like when we met you three years ago now. How time flies.

William Kendall said...

My aunt and uncle use facetime to converse with various friends, so that screen shot looks quite familiar.

I've been following Dorothy and Pat a little longer than I've been following you, and it seems you all had fun.

I can imagine that Washington would get shut down with the amount of snow that last system dropped. I heard Baltimore got hit even worse.

Kathie Brown said...

I am so glad you met your blogging buddy and had a good time. I cannot believe all the snow this winter!

Michelle said...

How wonderful that you were able to meet a blog friend in person.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Wonderful to visit with friends. You and Gregg sure like the A&S museum!

ladyfi said...

Looks like a fun day!

Valerie said...

How lovely to meet up with blogging friends. The photographs are great... and I see you had a go at Facetime. Strange that, since I just mentioned it in an email.... smiles.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

How fun, how fun!!!
Looks like ya'll have enjoyed yourself. Great share.

Marie said...

How nice that the snow didn't keep all of you from seeing each other. I know the lunch being cancelled was a disappointment, but it looks like the day turned out well. It's so nice to get to meet blogger friends!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

How superneat!

Linda Gross said...

What nice pictures of the four of you. I have met a few blogging friends. It is always nice when that happens. I hope someday that you and I will meet, Denise!

Kay said...

What fun to meet another pair of blog friends. I'm so glad you had such a great time, Denise.