Friday, February 21, 2014

CAMERA CRITTERS, SATURDAY'S CRITTERS AND BIRD D'POT

More photos from the Everglades National Park and some of the critters we saw there.



The next two photos were taken inside the Visitor Center.






If you look carefully in the photo below, you will see an alligator resting in the water on the left, and that's a White Egret on the right.


 Some kind of wasp?  


I tried to get the correct name for this dragonfly but no luck.  So, here it is, a Red Dragonfly!



On the right is an Anhinga and on the left a Tricolored Heron.  You'll note the Anhinga swims with most of its body under the water.




You can read some fascinating facts about the Anhinga here, including why most of the Anhinga's body is under water when it swims, except for his neck.  



I overheard a Park Ranger telling a group of school children that the way you can tell a male Anhinga is by the blue around its eye.  The blue becomes more pronounced nearer mating season to attract a mate.


Now to a lady Alligator he is very handsome.


Other Alligators resting near the water, and near the trail!


There were also turtles.


I think one of them had a close call.



Doesn't that indentation in his shell look suspiciously like an Alligator's tooth?



I am joining Misty's Camera Critters 





and as I have an Anhinga, the Tricolored Heron and even though its in the distance, a White Egret in this post, I am also linking to 



  Thank you for hosting these great memes ladies.

28 comments:

  1. ouch! good thing chicks dig scars. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. These are some lovely photos. I when we visited Florida, I was so taken by the Anhinga that I couldn't stop photographing it. They are so beautiful.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the turtles, the insects and the birds. And view the alligators with a (very) healthy respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a marvelous hike!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Everglades series. Your photos are fabulous! I once posted an alligator eating a turtle. (Was kind of surprised I had any followers left after that ;>)!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great walk. certainly a lot to see. Don't know if I would feel comfortable that close to a alligator, even close enough to use the zoom would be too close for me. Love the turtles and the reminder that life is tough for so many creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sure some variety here and don't those Darters (as we call them), move fast in the water?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor babies!
    Lovely photos!
    I've never heard of a swimming bird!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a bird up here- I have no idea what the type is- that swims with most of its body submerged. I didn't know there were other types doing that.

    The gators in particular look like kings and queens of their domain. Magnificent shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots! I'd like to see some gators in the wild. Great photos of the Anhinga!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photos of the turtles. Looks like that one fellow sure did have a tough moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Thanks for sharing more from the Everglades with us. I'm in love with the male Anhingas... GORGEOUS...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought that Cormorants were prehistoric-looking birds till I read about Anhingas. We don't have any of them over this side of the ocean, more's the pity. You photos bring the area to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the anhinga! I saw my first one two years ago. He had bright blue around the eye...did not know it meant he is a male. Learning something new every day. Great collection of shots. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WoW....what a huge varity of critters today denise!!

    the spread eagle cormorant was my favorite but they are all wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so lovely to see the wildlife of another country, the Anhinga is a strange bird-such big wings to swim like that, and I agree that looks like a gator tooth mark on the very lovely turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Everglades look absolutely huge - big enough to swallow a small English county? Wonderful shots and close up of the Anhinga, and yes that sure looks an alligator imprint and a close shave for the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very scenic place with so much wild life to see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An awesome place with so many critters. Enjoying your photos, Denise. Love them all.
    Poor turtle. Should be more careful next time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful obeservations and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a varied set of beautiful nature photos ~thanks ~ Happy Weekend to you ~

    artmusedog and carol
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Denise, Great variety of critters. The Anhinga's eye is beautiful. I feel sorry for the turtle with scarred shell. The gators are cool..from a distance. Wonderful series of photos. Thank you for linking up to my Saturday's Critter party. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting series. Love the anhinga!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow.. I would really love to have been in you shoes at that moment. Nice pictures of a wonderful place. Thank goodness for that hardtop shell on that turtle.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your shots are all gorgeous! What a beautiful area! And all these animals! Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an incredible journey through the Everglades....really, this was a marvelous post. Great photos, fabulous territory...and wonderful commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't get over all these close-ups you got. They're all so clear and perfect! Wow!

    ReplyDelete