Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Murals at the United States Botanic Garden, Washington DC

I was really taken with these.  The first one you will recognize the lady in my present header performing the tea ceremony I(I change headers frequently so it has probably been removed by now).  I have loved the kimono ever since I saw my first one in a photograph as a child. The ladies look so elegant, and the kimonos are always exquisite!  But the mural is depicting the growing of tea.


I cropped the picture for my header.....


and I also wanted to see what it would look like in black and white.


This mural is the one for cotton.  I saw my first cotton growing in a field only a few years ago, and they also had a few cotton plants in the Walney Pond Garden near the visitor center.  The blooms are unusual and very pretty.


Next is corn.....


and oranges.


Rice.....


and lastly cacao.


In the Conservatory where I found the murals, they had a cacao tree.


I also saw oranges growing in a large planter, and also grapefruit.  I'm assuming there were ones showing the other foods but I didn't think to look at them as we were already heading into another section.

I have other photos from the botanic garden but will leave them for another post.

22 comments:

  1. Those are so clear and fresh looking - hope you don't make us wait too long for the next set
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mural work. A talented painter!
    The loaded cocoa tree looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What delightful murals. Education, fun and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant murals one evn told me why the tractors had wheel close together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, the murals are wonderful. Some day I have to visit this Botanic Garden in DC. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The murals are lovely and the cacao tree is the weirdest thing, the way the pods just shoot out of the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find photographs of plantations interesting, but these murals are more so. Thanks for sharing, Denise. Looking forward to the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful murals. We witnessed a Shinto tea ceremony when we were in Tokyo in 2008. It is for the rich not the poor, and we had to eat a piece of sugar candy before drinking the bitter green tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very colorful and beautiful, murals, Denise. Perhaps on. Future DC visit we will visit the Botanic Gardens as our friends have invited us in March.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I still haven't been there but it looks like a very interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable paintings, mainly the first one, my favorite. A serene peaceful scene!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that style of painting, though not sure if it's photo realism, or just realism. It reminds me of Diego Rivera and Frida Kalo...smooth and colorful. Thanks so much for bringing them to me here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous. I published a post today about the Conservatory at Biltmore..

    Love the murals.. Awesome. AND--then getting to see the 'real' thing has to be special. The Cacao tree is neat!

    Cold here this morning. Was MINUS 2 about 6 a.m. Yipes!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those murals are really beautiful. I can see why you are enamored with them. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are really, really gorgeous murals! The full size version of the tea ceremony is enriched when you see the ladies picking the tea leaves in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are really pretty Denise and very interesting also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, my friend.....Love the Greek cookbook. What a dreamy gift. I adore Greek food. Hope you are surviving all the snow. It is so cold here that our 3 inches will not melt. Schools are still closed because of the roads. Where are the murals? We walked all over that place, but I need saw any murals. How could I have missed them?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely gift. And such wonderful murals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful and useful present. I love cooking. Enjoyed your post a lot.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete