Friday, December 20, 2013

SKYWATCH FRIDAY

These are again from our road trip last September.


Hi Tom, whoever you are.


 Below is a photo of Devil's Tower.  You can read about it here.  Any sci-fi fans out there will recognize this famous landmark when it was shown in the 1977 movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".  You can see a partial clip from the movie here.


And just as a matter of interest, here is a photo of the model used in the movie.  We found it at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum, and their website is here.





~~~~~~~~~

My thanks to the SkyWatch Team for hosting this wonderful meme.
YogiSandy and Sylvia are our hosts at SkyWatch Friday.

Please click here to visit other sky watchers.


Happy SkyWatch Friday!

19 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I have to say I LOVE blue skies! That must have been a fantastic trip you took.

Mama Zen said...

Really cool shots!

TexWisGirl said...

love, love the gate! :)

Betty Manousos said...

nice shots, denise.
that must have been a terrific trip.

x

Anne Jeffries said...

What an interesting post, Denise. Our first out of town date was to see Close Encounters. I was living in Riverside at the time and Don in the L.A. area. We drove to Palm Springs to see the movie.

Don and I were first married in 1978. Then we married in the Church in 1986. It would see that Dec. 17th is an auspicious date for both of us.

Em Parkinson said...

I love that graffiti strewn Wyoming sign!

Elephant's Child said...

Gorgeous skies.
I wonder whether Tom ever saw that someone had said hello to him?

Bill Nicholls said...

Awesome love the tower and model

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

I loved Wyoming. I took photos with my old camera. Got to dig them out again. Dianne

Betsy Adams said...

Beautiful sky photos --from a wonderful trip!!!!!


Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

The Write Girl said...

I am curious about that "Hi Tom" writing too. I've never seen this movie but now I'm curious. Thanks for sharing.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Yes, I can't see this landmark without thinking about "Close Encounters"!!

Mary said...

Great shots! I love the first! :)

Laura said...

wow, great photos Denise!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love ranch wickets. Wyoming has a bunch of them.

Gail Dixon said...

The design on the entry gate is awesome! Love the skies in your shots, too. What neat places to visit!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Isn't that a cool place! We were staying somewhere in SD (maybe Pierre) and heard about it from a fellow-camper...didn't know a thing about it before that...long drive, well worth it. Thanks for the memories and the great pics.

Mimsie said...

As usual with all features of your trip this is just so interesting.
You can't help wondering "Who is Tom?" can you.
Thanks again for sharing so much fun from your life.

Kay said...

It is a truly awesome place isn't it? I loved the column formations that surround the tower.