Wednesday, December 4, 2013

NATURE NOTES


I found this unusual structure in a neighbor's garden near the home of my niece while we were there for her wedding last October.  I didn't realize what it was at first, but found out later that it is an Insect Hotel.  

They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and have different sections that provide insects with nesting facilities, particularly during the winter months.  You will find solitary bees and solitary wasps in residence, and many are designed so that insects can hibernate, such as ladybirds and butterflies.  They are becoming very popular among gardeners and fruit and vegetable growers who want to encourage insect pollination.  I found the above and more interesting information here.

I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes this week.  Thank you for hosting Michelle, I enjoy this lovely meme very much.