Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A question about a problem I am having.


Can someone please tell me why I am leaving 'links' back to my blog when I visit other blogs and publish a comment?   I didn't notice it at first, until a few blogging friends got back to me and asked why this was happening every time I visited.  To them I am very grateful because I would probably still be going on my merry way without noticing anything was amiss.  It was a complete surprise as I didn't hang around to look at the bottom of the page to see those offending links.  It's not every blog I visit, that is why it is so puzzling.  

I have been scratching my head for ages, trying various things and even deleting the thumbnails at the end of each of my posts here, thinking they were the culprit and that it would get rid of them, but it still goes on.  It has even happened when people have used the blog roll on my side bar to visit others, when I haven't visited myself at all.  It must be very irritating as it looks like a flagrant advertisement to entice people to come and visit me.  I can say in all honesty and sincerity that it most definitely is not!   I would never do anything like this unless I had the blog owner's permission first, and wouldn't even have thought of it in the first place.  It's not how I go about things.

If anyone out there has found that this is happening to them and has succeeded in eliminating the annoying links, and you can give me a clue as to how I can do the same, I would be ever so grateful.  I heard from one person that she knew of at least one blogger who was also leaving links after visiting but that they disappeared eventually.  I'd rather not wait that long.



Slowly getting over this rotten cold and will be very glad when the accompanying headaches disappear with them.  Gregg went off to the library this afternoon while I snoozed on the couch for most of time he was away.  When I feel under the weather all I do is sleep, or fall out of bed apparently. When in Virginia Beach having just caught this bug, I woke up in the middle of the night and through a foggy haze tried to pick up my glasses that had dropped on the floor, except that I kept going and I had a 'falling tree in the forest' moment as I landed on my knee and my wrist and even grazed my head ever so slightly.  Thankfully I missed my glasses.  I can see the funny side.  This has happened before when I have been under the weather but not for a very long time.  



At the moment I have to rely on Gregg's great sense of smell as he tells me the house has a wonderful aroma floating through the air.  He helped me earlier by prudently chopping all the vegetables for our evening meal.  (He prefers I do not get near any knives when I feel like this.)  I posted about the recipe for Navy Bean Soup here if you are interested.  It was delicious and on a cold evening with a snuffly nose, also very comforting.



After our week away our mail carrier dropped off a box full of mail. There are loads of catalogs to sift through, a few letters, some of which are bills - oh the joy - and the Christmas Cards have started arriving.  Hopefully tomorrow I will write out a few.  I suppose it won't be in the too distant future when even these will be obsolete, everything will be done online.  We've already started paying bills that way, though we haven't made the complete changeover yet.  And I for one will certainly miss receiving the cards that I look forward to.  It is always a lot of fun to look at what kind our family and friends have chosen that year.  

There are times when I even miss what is known now as  'snail-mail'.  Always a pleasure to find an honest-to-goodness written letter in the box, and the stamps are a visual delight, and I am a very visual person.  We all seem to be writing e-mails which I don't knock at all, but still. 

One day there will be future generations looking at a letter with actual honest-to-goodness handwriting behind the glass display at the Smithsonian, not from a President or another famous person, but from a regular every-day one, wondering what it is, and being told "Oh that's when people used to actually have pens with ink inside them, and they would scrawl on a piece of paper with the ink flowing through the nib.  We used to communicate that way and then we would mail it to people, and it would take at least a week to reach them."  "What's a nib?" they'll say, "What's a pen?" and off they'd go to the display cabinet holding the nibs and pens.  The look of astonishment on a child's face would be worth a thousand words. Hard to imagine that not so long ago it used to take months for letters to get across the ocean.  And now we are all connected instantaneously.

The photos I am using today are from the same garden mentioned in my previous post.

Added note:  Terri from Coloring Outside the Lines mentioned that maybe I should check my comment settings, so I went to Settings, Posts and Comments and then Backlinks where it gave me a choice to hide or show.  My Backlinks is already set to "Hide" but maybe it's the people who are seeing my links that need to do this if they don't want to see any backlinks.  Thanks Terri, appreciate the feed back and I would also like to thank all you other lovely people who may not know what the problem is, but are offering sweet comments.  That is a comfort and big help in itself.  And finally, after all these years of blogging, I am learning something about 'backlinks'.  Sometimes I feel such a prune! I would be rolling my eyes if I didn't find it physically impossible right now.

Another added note:  I have just heard from Elephant Child that Terri's advice did the trick and my backlinks disappeared from her blog.  Both EC and I are doing the happy dance and we are both thanking Terri :)

27 comments:

  1. Sorry you are having those issues! I have no idea how it can happen - or how to fix it.
    and I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are lovely, Denise. I am so sorry you are having these complications! I cannot help you with this, but I sure hope someone can and that you get the issues resolved shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't even need to visit. The list gets updated every time you post. And has recently added some old posts too. They can't be deleted either.
    I am sorry you have been under the weather - and hope you feel completely better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen those too. Is it under settings- posts and comments- backlinks? That's what I thought it was- if you show where others have linked to you? Blogger confuses me daily so I could be barking up the wrong tree. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know that i don't allow links on my blog, but i've seen links back to your site on a lot of other blogs. not sure why or who that happens if you're not specifically clicking on the 'create a link' prompt when you leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, so sorry Denise, I'm having one of 'those' moments, I think I just left my (long) comment to this post in your previous posts comment section! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise

    I have disabled my backlinks and you are therefore no longer visible under my comments.
    Backlinks are only meant to show when other bloggers have referred to your blog in their post, but, obviously, Blogger is getting it wrong.

    I hope you will soon feel better and that your woolly head will clear itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous header and just lovely pics in your pos. Hope you are feeling better! Good luck with your link issue....it's over MY head!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It worked!!! Thank you - and thank you Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back links, ping-backs…who knows. I get ping backs when someone references my blog. I can stop them from coming over, but forget how. I am no help. Dianne

    Checking out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your photos and hope you'll be feeling lots better real soon. I have a feeling maybe with the links, that it has happened on certain blogs because of THEIR settings allowing it to happen. Hopefully someone can provide an answer. As to the snail-mail - I used to write a lot many years back, even before computers - and a favourite quotation was that from Lord Byron, that letter-writing is the only way to combine solitude with good company

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing you asked :) Love your photos. Hope you feel better , must be the season I've been sick too and have bruised knees from a fall ...only my foot got caught in my jammies and plop. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not have backlinks allowed on my blog. I was seeing your around on different blogs, I thought you were leaving them after visiting. Blogger can be weird at times. I hope you are feeling better, take care. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am clueless denise...sorry i am not able to help. i do wonder if it a blogger problem and not something you are doing wrong!!

    i enjoyed all your images today and i sure do hope someone is able to help you. the only comment i read was tex, as i figured if anyone would know it would be her ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, Denise that you have not been feeling well. Pat/Grenville is doing much better than last week, so hopefully you will be better soon too. And, while I did not know the solution to the back link problem, it was interesting to read the suggestions and comments. In all honesty, I don't know if we had a similar issue as no one has commented to that effect.
    I agree with you that getting a handwritten card, note or letter seems to becoming obsolete, sadly. I still write and send them and rarely send email greetings, only to Pat for fun, but we also give each other real cards with notes in them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feel better soon Denise. I wouldn't know how to fix that or even if it was happening to me ....sorry clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you feel better soon, Denise. This is the time of year that a cold is just not very helpful. I'm glad Gregg is retired and can help you now.

    Yes, I did see your back links and figured something goofy was going on. However, I changed something on my settings and it went away. It was a while ago though so I can't remember what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you are soon feeling 100%. I've noticed links to your site appearing on my blog too but I've not know how to unlink them. I'm no more knowledgable than yourself about how this all happens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to see back links from you but they disappeared eventually on their own. As for email vs. snail mail, I sent my Christmas newsletter via email to those who have email addresses, and via snail mail to those who don't. Have you received my newsletter via email? If you want me to, I'll snail mail it to you. No problem. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Denise, yes - I have your links at the bottom of my comments thing! Someone said it was somewhere in settings but I haven't had time to look yet. I also realise you're not on my blog roll so I've added you now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey I'm glad you figured it out. I saw that you left a lot of backlinks and it didn't bother me one way or another. For some reason I thought you were setting them up manually and I was thinking "that is a lot of work."

    Blogger and all the various settings are a mystery to me and I mess with them as little as possible.

    I hope that you get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. glad your problem is fixed, i have not seen or heard of that YET... until now anyway. love he window photo and the flowers. beautiful. sorry you are under he weather.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you're feeling better now. It sounds as if you were really unwell.
    Glad you've sorted your technical blog troubles, which you certainly don't need. I used to get your back links pop up, but changed my setting and then forgot about it. Now I know why it happened. I have so much to learn and yet sometimes don't feewl like spending ages experimenting or trying to follow Blogger Help instructions. For example I would love to know how to link my posts like you do e.g. showing past recipes etc. I looked at the Navy Bean Soup recipe. That's a good one! Ham bone and beans go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the links have to do with the blog you're commenting on. Some automatically ask for your most recent post.
    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am happy to hear you are getting rid of your cold; hope the headache goes out the door too.

    I used to send upwards of 75-100 Christmas cards. This was in the mid to late 1970s. I will be sending only 10 cards this year. Most of my holiday greetings are done via the Internet.

    ReplyDelete