Sunday, December 15, 2013

A little humor....


This really tickled my funny-bone.  

I have seen versions of the three wise monkeys for years but never really thought how they originated.  Apparently they date back to 17th Century Japanese carvings.  The three are Mizaru (see no evil) covering his eyes, Kikazaru (hear no evil) covering his ears, and Iwazaru (speak no evil) covering his mouth.  Sometimes there is a fourth monkey, Shizaru (do no evil) crossing his arms, but as in the cartoon above, he seems to have taken up blogging!

Here is a poem I found online.

Three small monkeys on my table
Each as good as he is able,

Not to see or hear or say
Things unpleasant through the day.

One with hands across his eyes,
Careful that he never spies,

Does not see the faults of others,
Neither playmates nor his brother.

One with fingers in his ears
That he's sure he never lies,

Now the third with fingertips
Gently placed upon the lips,

That he may not speak unkind
Thoughts that enter his mind,

Now without the fingertips
Pressing closely on the lips,

He should guard the tongue as well,
And be cautious what we tell.

May the conscience be our guide
Telling what to see or hide;

Let us learn without delay
What to see or hear or say.

~~~~~~~

The Three wise Monkeys
~Author Unknown~


I wonder what pearls of wisdom this wise monkey is teaching its little one.
(photo taken at Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, Virginia - November 2013)

Our blogging friend Adam from "Neko Random" which you can find here, gave me some additional information.  His comment read, "Zaru is actually the Japanese word for monkey (though the proper noun is Saru), and their names are literally seemonkey, hearmonkey and saymonkey."  Very interesting, thanks Adam!

25 comments:

  1. That cartoon says it all, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wish humans were as emotionally smart as monkeys...♥Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say the Monkey looks Pi**d off

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cartoon and I love the poem, Denise! These monkeys are very smart. Have a great evening and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are cute and smart...and that's all they need!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol We always have to blog! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zaru is actually the Japanese word for monkey (though the proper noun is Saru), and there names are literally Seemonkey, hearmonkey, and saymonkey

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother recited a version of that poem! She had a whole store of moralistic poems, it was amazing! Thanks for doing the research and bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice monkey photo!
    Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Thank you for the chuckle. We did see the monkey carving in Nikko, Japan when we visited there in 2008. Until then, I didn't realize that it must have originated there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very interesting post, Denise. I remember my Grandma had a small set of the three monkeys in brass and the saying was often quoted when I was a child! I like the poem giving the same advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun cartoon and I enjoyed reading the history of the three wise monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always smile when I see the three wise monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahaha, cute cartoon. Also love the last shot. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting tidbits. We often repeat things without knowing what they mean. Mom said "Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house," and I never knew what that meant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. heee heee scratch your armpits son is what he is teaching him

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting post. I never thought of the origins of the three monkeys .. see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil. Thank you for enlightening us. Cute cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) Thank you for this wonderful post, poem and pic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cartoon. Glad your credit card company were on the ball. It has happened to us before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Denise....I had a little figurine of the 3 monkeys that my 50 year old daughter now has...small world. Now, I am so tickled you recognized my ornaments. The fun news is I have a duplicate that I would love to send you as a little Christmas surprise from one Anglophile to another. It is the one of Elizabeth with the frills around her neck. Send me your address and I will send it to you. My email is on my blog...genier39atgmaildotcom . I have it sitting right here beside me and have a little mailer close by. Hugs...genie

    ReplyDelete
  21. No monkeying around with this lot. Great post.

    ReplyDelete