Friday, December 13, 2013

A change of pace.....


I rented The Last Mimzy last night, a science fiction movie made in 2007.  I'd venture to say that even non-sci-fi people would like this movie and it is family friendly.  It was apparently panned by critics at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Not to give too much away it centers around two children who find a box on the beach with strange objects inside, and the story goes on from there.   The children, Chris O'Neil and Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, give wonderful performances as Noah and Emma.   Timothy Hutton and Joely Richardson are very convincing as their worried parents. Rainn Wilson is Noah's teacher, Kathryn Hahn his wife, and the late great Michael Clarke Duncan plays the FBI agent who gets involved after Noah causes the City of Seattle to black out when playing with one of the objects.  All give wonderful performances and one of the reasons I rented the movie was that the reviews were positive and gave mostly five stars.  Now you might find a few faults if you start being too analytical, but I give it my own five stars.

You can read about Henry Kuttner, author of The Last Mimzy here.





9 comments:

  1. I haven’t seen the movie so can’t comment on it. However, I can say that it is not unusual for critics to pan a new movie that I happen to see months or years later on television and in my view it is excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. We both enjoy good movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy all kinds of movies. Comedies are usually my favorites. Thanks for sharing the review, Denise. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family enjoyed this movie a couple of years ago. It is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a change of pace is necessary. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw it a few years ago and yes we enjoyed it . Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend ! Oh P.S cute header !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Denise. We're always looking for good movies to watch. I've written this title down.

    I love your new header, by the way.

    I've been so caught up in all the holiday things that I haven't been able to visit. It's so much fun to catch up now.

    ReplyDelete