Sunday, October 27, 2013

Slow-Cooker Coconut and Green Curry Pork


It's been quite a while since I followed any recipes, but as we slowly settle back into a routine after all our traveling, and with the colder weather arriving, it is time to get the Crockpot out and cook some good old fashioned comfort food. 

We both enjoy Thai food and with that in mind I searched through some saved recipes and came across this one. I found the original at a blog called 'theKitchn' which you can find here. We went out for a while and came home to the most wonderful aroma.

Slow-Cooker Coconut and Green Curry Pork

One 2 - 3 lb. pork butt or pork shoulder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs. small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into sixths
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 4 oz. can Thai green curry paste (Maesri is suggested in original recipe, which can be found at almost every Asian supermarket)
1 15 oz. can coconut milk
Chopped cilantro or chives for serving (optional)
Toasted unsweetened coconut for serving (optional)

Heat the broiler.  Cut pork into four pieces and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.  Place on a large baking sheet and broil, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until well-browned.

Spread the cut potatoes in the insert of your crockpot.  Sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper.

While the pork is browning in the oven, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot add the curry paste and fry for about three to five minutes, or until the paste smells aromatic and has begun to absorb the oil.  Whisk in the coconut milk and cook for another few minutes, or until the coconut milk begins to bubble.

Take the browned pork out of the oven and drain away any liquid fat.  Arrange the pork in the crockpot with the potatoes, and pour the hot green curry and coconut milk mixture over the top.

Cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW.  At the end of the cooking time shred the pork with two forks.  It should be very easy to do.  (The sauce will be thin).

Taste and season if necessary with salt or soy sauce.  Serve with brown rice and small bowls of chopped cilantro or chives, and toasted unsweetened coconut. 

Now, what did we think of this recipe?  It was delicious!   

I did alter a couple of things, only because when I went up to our local supermarket, they didn't carry the green curry paste and only had the red.  I didn't feel like making a trek to another store to see if they had it but we were more than happy with the result.  I suggested to Gregg next time I make it, that we will go to an Asian market and find the suggested green curry paste, but he liked it the way it was and doesn't want me to change a thing. Personally I'd still like to try it with the green curry paste just to compare.

The last time I cooked potatoes in my crockpot, at the end of the eight hours even on high, the potatoes were still a bit hard.  With that in mind I par-boiled my potatoes for ten minutes, and they were a perfect consistency by the finishing time.  Just like microwaves, probably crockpot temperatures differ slightly also, though I am no expert.

Also, the only can of coconut milk I found measured a little under the 15 ozs., but it didn't seem to make a difference as there was still plenty of liquid.

I also did not use any unsweetened grated coconut.

I served slices of Mango on the side.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Denise... Makes me hungry!!!!! Don't you love to smell dinners cooking in the crockpot???? Love it.

    Hope you had a good week. We have been in Kentucky with friends... Had a fantastic time although it was COLD there.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crock pot dinners (indeed any slow cooked dinners) are a treat. And almost always have left-overs to savour later. A double win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! As I was reading the recipe, green mango chutney instantly came to mind. A pity I have only me to cook for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It look so delicious!
    Have a nice day, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh....this sounds absolutely scrumptious, Denise! I need to get a slow cooker, I haven't had one for years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. definately one to try .. soon! Cilantro to you - here it is coriander, and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMMMMMM

    Yummy!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yummy! I will try this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds and looks very good. I add 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of sugar to the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, Denise, it's confession time. I have never used a slow cooker! I did have one and gave it to my son because I could never get round to preparing the meal in the first place. Maybe now I have more time at both ends of the day I should start. I have to say that the recipe you gave sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good, I haven't tried very many curries

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great. Luckily, we have a Thai restaurant and market at the end of our block, so I have all the ingredients I need for Thai cooking. I have to confess, more often than not, we order takeout from the restaurant, however.

    Pork and chicken both do well in crockpots. Today. I am cooking sauerkraut, with bratwurst in my crockpot. Getting in the mood for Octoberfest. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's certainly time for those slow cooked casseroles, Denise! I like mild curries that include the flavour of coconut and your recipe sounds a good one. Your header is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds and looks delicious. I use my crockpot all the time. It's so nice to be able to go out and know dinnere will be ready when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are really fond of using our crockpot now that cooler weather has arrived, Denise. This recipe sounded as delicious as it must have tasted. And while I am not sure if all the ingredients will be in our lone supermarket, there is also a Walmart with a grocery section.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's about dinner time right now and seeing your photos made my tummy rumble. Yuuuum!

    ReplyDelete