Wednesday, October 23, 2013

NATURE NOTES

My niece and her new husband, are the caretakers of three mountain sheep.  I have seen photos of them before and posted about them a while back.  



The area they live in is part of the Black Forest, and their new home is on a very steep hillside.  The previous owners of the house already had the resident sheep but asked if they would like to keep three.  They all win, they get their grass 'mowed' and the sheep have become much treasured pets.




My niece is very adept at coaxing them down the hill for us to get a closer look.  They have a couple of apple trees up there too.  Apples were a big help!




A few were tossed into the mix and then....




a little head-butting started.




The sound of those horns making contact reminded me of a National Geographic nature show.



Gregg took all of the close-ups.


Aren't those horns amazing?



The sheep have very sweet faces don't you think?  They are a father and two sons.



I took a video of them also.



I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes this week.  Thank you for hosting Michelle, I enjoy this lovely meme very much.

22 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the video. I liked when the one looked at you. I am a pretty boy attitude. When you said you liked the eyes.

    So most animals like aples. Never knew these guys would.

    I learned something today.

    Oh my big horns, antlers. Not sure what one calls these.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you asked how old the sheep are in the video as I was wondering about that. An interesting piece to watch!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys will be boys and there's always a bit of head butting between fathers and sons!! Love this post, especially the video.

    I visited the Apple Store today and am ready to roll.
    Can anyone participate in these memes, or is it a club? Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a show they put on. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise ... How fabulous to to be visiting there looks so lively!!

    Love those sheep like you said National Geographic like!! The video was great!!
    There accommodation are right fancy! they must be well loved!!
    My daughter has 12 sheep and they sure love apples will even wreck the fence to get them!!

    So why is it that you didn't just get right in there with them LOL!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh they do have sweet faces and I enjoyed the video clip too. Those really are some impressive horns and I always think that boys will be boys when I see a fight .. Thank you for linking in Denise and I LOVE the frog header..I think it is a frog..

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Denis Love these sheep and their horns are so big. Also Loved the video and I am surprised they do not go into the little shelter that looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoyed seeing the mountain sheep and the video !
    Very interesting guys they are .

    ReplyDelete
  9. The video refused to load, but I loved the sheep. And have heard horn clashing before - it is an incredible sound. I expected to see injury - and luckily didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They Do have the sweetest faces!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. certainly very interesting sheep

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwww....great photos, Denise! I love your header, too, it makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The video is great, it is nice to see them grazing and in action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those horns look lethal...but the sheep seem quite docile. I have the perfect environment for sheep like that, plenty of apples and plenty of grass. Hmmm... food for thought :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Denise,
    A very special post for today, I love these critters, they are cute and your pictures are wonderful!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work!:-)

    Greetings to you from the Netherlands,
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness that was fun...Wonderful closeups and I loved the video, (hearing the voices was fun as well as hearing the sheep 'butt heads') ... what a super cool thing to have these animals in their backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great place! Even if it's hilly it's a nice environment and the sheep are lovely and useful at the same time. The horns are amazing, but they look like interesting characters to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Such close captures!
    I would have been scared.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool to see the sheep in their natural habitat, and not in a zoo!

    ReplyDelete