Wednesday, September 18, 2013

From our road trip....

Over the next few weeks I will be sharing cards that I picked up from our road trip.  I love to collect them, greeting cards as well as postcards, especially the kind I have never seen in our local stores.  This one I have already sent to a dear friend.



 I purchased this at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming.  

I think we've all heard of Annie Oakley, probably more from Hollywood's version than anything else.  I remember Doris Day playing her in the movie "Annie Get Your Gun" released in February 1963.  I would have been 13 so more likely I saw it on the TV a few years later.  I was and still am a big Doris Day fan.

Here is what I found:

"Born Phoebe Ann Moses (or Mosey) on August 13th, 1860, in Darke County, Ohio, the woman who came to be known as Annie Oakley, developed her superb marksmanship as a teenager, earning enough to pay off the mortgage of her mother's home.  She married fellow marksman Frank Butler in 1876 and would later become a star attraction for Buffalo Bill's Wild West show for years, renowned for unparalleled shooting tricks, a revered global figure.  She retired in 1913 and passed away in Ohio on November 3rd, 1926."  

More facts I read online.

She earned money and helped her family by helping to hunt for game for a grocery store.  By the time she was 15 she was able to pay off her mother's mortgage.

She married Frank E. Butler, a top shooter and vaudeville performer.  When his partner fell ill she took his place and took on the name of Oakley.

When she met Sitting Bull in 1884, he was so impressed with her manner and abilities, that he "adopted" her and bestowed upon her the additional name of "Watanya Cecelia" or "Little Sure Shot."

She and her husband joined Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show in 1885, which they toured with for more than a decade-and-a-half.  She received top billing and her husband worked as her manager and assisted Oakley with her stunning displays of marksmanship, such as shooting off the end of a cigarette held in her husband's lips, hitting the thin end of a playing card from 30 paces, and shooting distant targets while looking into a mirror, and more.

Annie entertained such royals as Queen Victoria and Kaiser Wilhelm II, and shot a cigarette out of his mouth. 

In 1901 she was partially paralyzed in a railroad accident.  She recovered and continued to perform.  

She retired with Butler in 1913 settling in Cambridge, Maryland, and adopted a dog Dave, who would become part of their later shows.

She was the top earner for the Wild West Show and along with additional exhibition work, she shared money with her extended family and gave donations to charities for orphans.  After her death it was discovered that she had given all her fortune away to these two.

During World War I Annie volunteered to organize a regiment of female sharpshooters but her petition was ignored.  Instead she helped to raise money for the Red Cross with exhibition work at army camps.

In her retirement Annie pursued such hobbies as hunting and fishing, and taught marksmanship to other women.  In the early 1920s Oakley and Butler were involved a car accident in which they were both severely hurt, but she did manage to perform again for a time in 1924.

She passed away on November 3rd, 1926, in Greenville, Ohio of pernicious anaemia.  Her husband died soon after, when he was so heartbroken he stopped eating, and he too passed away on November 21st, 1926.

Photos taken at her exhibit.  Annie Oakley is standing on the right hand side of the photo holding her rifle.  Click to enlarge for a better look.

One of her costumes inside a display case.

You can learn more if you click here.

20 comments:

  1. Wow. I collect cards myself, buying them whenever I see ones I would like to send (or receive).
    I love this one, and even more loved hearing about Annie Oakley. Such an inspirational and gutsy woman. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Doris Day, too, especially the movies where she starred with Rock Hudson. Thanks for the info about Annie. Those are great cards and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful informative post and I enjoyed reading it. My daughter used to collect cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise, the Annie Oakley card is pretty. I enjoyed reading all the facts about her. She was a special person to share her earnings to her family and the orphans. Great post, thanks for sharing! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie Oakley was amazing in a time when most women were lived very ordinary lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this. when I was a girl my mom always called me Annie Oakley !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved that musical and fun to learn more about her real life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat that you collect cards.. AND--it is great that you got some from your wonderful trip... Great memories!

    Love it.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cards like that are worth their weight in gold. Great memories, too. Annie Oakley is a true legend!

    Thank you so much for your good wishes re hubby. I'm back, albeit on an irregular basis. Maybe I'll blog once a week for a while just to keep my hand in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was an amazing woman and had a remarkable gift. It is a great shame her offer of organising a regiment of female sharpshooters was turned down. I wonder if the authorities considered it not the thing for women to do. I like the card you sent your friend - very sweet.
    I think you're home now? It must be nice to be in familiar surroundings after such a long time away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is all so interesting. I knew some of it, but had forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was so very interesting, Denise. I've always been fascinated by her, of course. I guess most girls were. I knew a little bit about her but her life is so very incredible. They should make another movie about her life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting depicting a world gone by. When I think of the ones when I was a young child that me Grand mother had which got lost/destroyed - so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the information about Annie Oakley.She must have been an incredible woman and the partnership with her husband is also touching. I like the card and the glimpse of one of her costumes in the museum - quite a simple style - perhaps for best? I used to love watching Doris Day movies and remember enjoying her interpretation of Annie Oakley.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so interesting. I went to a school time Fancy dress as Annie Oakly but I never knew much about her.

    ReplyDelete