Sunday, August 11, 2013

Vulture Convention or Disney Audition?

We are visiting family in Virginia Beach right now.  Driving down on the Saturday morning we had intended to get out at 6.00 a.m. as we knew the holiday traffic would be heavy.  However, we didn't leave the house until two hours later.   We kept checking traffic and the freeway app on Gregg's phone showed a red line for miles and miles, so we do what we always do, we take the back roads.



This is a road we have not driven on in a very long time, years in fact, before the new road was built that we now take.  At one time we would always pass the Crosby's Crab Company.   We were looking for the road we needed but both of us were thinking the same thing after we had seen this extraordinary sight.  It was one of those occasions where I had swiveled in my seat to look behind me.   I could not believe I had just seen all those vultures.  Good fortune smiled on us and we had to do a u-turn to get back on track, and also to see these very interesting looking birds.  They were in the next field over from the crab company, on the roofs of a house and an old barn.  There were also many resting in the surrounding trees.   On stopping we counted over 40 vultures.  


























At first I thought they may have been Black-headed Vultures but on looking at several photographs on line, they could also have been juvenile Turkey Vultures. I am not sure which ones these are.  Maybe someone will be able to offer the correct identification.








The Crosby's Crab Co. can be found here.






I couldn't help but think of all the cartoon vultures shown in Disney's movies, particularly an old favorite of mine, The Jungle Book.

~~~~~~~

I will be linking with Anni's Bird D'Pot, and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday.