Saturday, August 3, 2013

TODAY'S FLOWERS # 258

The link to Today's Flowers opens at 12.15 a.m. every Saturday, Eastern Time (US).  The old link will close the previous Thursday at 11.30 P.M.

To see beautiful blooms from around the world you can click here.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.


The story of Queen Anne as found here.  There are other fascinating facts about this beautiful wildflower, and it's worth reading the whole article.

"Queen Anne was tatting white lace (tatting is the all-but-lost art of making lace by hand).  The beautiful white lace she was tatting became the white lacy flowers of the wild carrot plant.  She pricked her finger and one drop of blood oozed out.  This became the central dark red or purple sterile floret that is present on some, but not all, Queen Anne's Lace flowers.

Legends disagree as to which Queen Anne was tatting such lovely lace.  Some say it was Anne (1574-1619), the first Stuart Queen Anne, who was brought over from Denmark at fourteen years of age, to be a Queen to King James of Scotland.  Others argue it was Anne (1665-1714), the daughter of William and Mary, and the last monarch of the Stuart line.  Both Anne's died in their forties."


Her lawn
looks like a meadow, 
And if she mows her place
She leaves the clover standing
And the Queen Anne's Lace.

~Edna St. Vincent Millay~


When we went for a ride along Skyline Drive a little while ago, we have always enjoyed the wildflowers but this time there were more than we had ever seen.  Everywhere you looked there was an abundance of them.   The one above and below has a little visitor, a couple of them actually but the other is not in full view (in the photo above that is).


I have been practicing with my macro lens.  


~~~~~~

(The following message will be repeated every week.)

I wish to show my appreciation for all the participants in the previous week's Today's Flowers Meme, by sharing their links here.  I always try hard not to make any mistakes but please let me know if there are any, the same if I have missed anyone.  I do make the occasional mistake and I have already been made aware of one or two.  Believe me, I appreciate it as I like to get things correct.  The links are in the order they were received on the home page.  Consequently, this list won't be alphabetical.  Clicking on the names will take you to their blogs.


With my thanks to last week's participants who were:

Maboe

Jama at Sweet Memories

Randi at Bland Rosor &Tistlar

Cathy @ Still Waters

Squirrel Queen at The Road to Here

Hood Photography

The Modern Mom

Liza at Mommy's Little Corner

Luna Miranda from Live in the Moment

Blommer och sant i foto

Xavi at Jardins-Parcs-Paisatges-Muntanyes-Ciutats

Starry Universe

Enerhagen

Vilt Og Vakkert

Artistique

Elin at I hagen ved skauen

Deja Photo

Mary in Austria

Minoru's Photo Diary

Carver at Carver's Sight or is that Site?

Laura's Shine the Divine

Laerte Pupo at Ipsis Flowers

Bexar County Line

Lina at Women's Perspectives

Lea's Menagerie

Judy at Lilac Gate

Bunny Girl

Elaine at Our Country Cove Crew

Miriam Luiza at Abrindo a Coracao

Pret-a-Vivre

Sara at Love That Image

Birgitta at Birgitta B: welcome to my world of photoraphy

Chris-June's Kreativewerkstatt

Sallie at A Full-Time Life

Karen at Pixel Posts

Maschas Buch

Life's Concealed Details

Passion for Nature

Lotusleaf at Garden Tropics

Doug at 2013 Doug Photo Blog

Sandy at Kezzela2

Misty at My Dogs Keep Me Sane

Steve at Shooting My Universe

Betsy's Wildwood Home

Sandy from Writing in Faith

Mammoth Lakes Daily Photo

Shell Louise

Dancing Aspens Farm Blog

Teregram

Pat's Addition

Jana's Photo Journal

Charlene from My Nature Photography

~~~~~~

Today's Flowers was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli, Jr.




TF teamPupo - Sandy Carlson - Denise


If anyone would like to be a guest and share photos on our home page, details can be found at the top of Today's Flowers web site, which you will find here.

                          

I will be linking up with the following blogs.

Tina's Weekend Flowers which you can find here,

   

Mona's Floral Love here,

   Floral Love

and also Laura's I Heart Macro here.

Shine the Divine

47 comments:

Linda said...

Great job, Denise. Lovely series.

Kay said...

I'm so envious of your macros, Denise. I see Queen Anne's Lace everywhere on the mainland, but none here in Hawaii. It's such a lovely wildflower. I never knew the story behind it. Thank you so much for the fun information.

Karen said...

Ah...Queen Anne's lace, one of my favourite flowers. I can't call anything this beautiful a weed. Your photos are gorgeous, and the ant is such a bonus!

SquirrelQueen said...

The macros are awesome Denise, well done. Thanks for the story of Queen Anne's lace, it is a beautiful flower.

Carole M. said...

it is a pretty flower; I'm sure it'd look great filling up a vase for indoors too; very dainty. Have heard of it before but never grown it

sandyland said...

As kids we made the most beautiful paintings with them I'd like to do it again but they do not grow here..

Forest Dream Weaver said...

I love these beautiful flowers,always such a pleasure to find insects clinging to them.
Along with wild roses they say summer to me!

Happy weekend Denise,
Ruby @ Starry Universe

Valerie said...

Interesting! I didn't know the wildflower was called a wild carrot plant. It looks similar to one known here as cow parsley. I'm just going down the garden to check!

KaHolly said...

Very interesting. I was wondering about Queen Ann's Lace just the other day. Love the quote! Fits me to a tee. I have swaths of 'lawn' that are designated as no mow zones.

Arija said...

Queen Anne's Lace :) the tale incorporates a number of German fairy tales which makes it rather suspect, the plant however, is pretty as a picture. Although listed as a plant of healing, it is also a poison to the unsuspecting. I have grown it for it's beauty but always been wary to wash my hands after touching it.
Absolutely lovely photos Denise and thank you for keeping this lovely meme going.

guild-rez said...

We both chose the same beautiful wildflower 'Queen Anne's Lace as flower picture for Today's Flowers event.
Love your poem,
Gisela

ZielonaMila said...

Interesting post, beautiful photos, beautiful wildflower:) Greetings

Carver said...

Great post Denise. I love queen anne's lace.

diane b said...

Your macro is super. the Queen Ann lace is a lovely wild flower. Your drive sounded very pretty.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful, Denise! You did wonderful with your macro lens. Have a happy weekend!

Adam said...

lovely flowers

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Denise Yes this is a lovely wild flower and it seems it is in profusion this year. Very pretty. I did enjoy to hear about about its origins, thank you for researching that for us.

TexWisGirl said...

great job on the blooms and the ants!

Minoru Saito said...

Hi! Nice captures. Very beautiful flower photos. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I've always loved this flower, and look for it in the fields and meadows each year.
Such an interesting story behind it's origin, a Regal plant of sorts :)
Lovely.
~Jo

George said...

It really doesn't matter which Anne is the one in the legend. Queen Anne's Lace is beautiful. You are becoming quite an expert with your macro lens.

Judy said...

I love your macros!!! And I love QAL - good thing I publish only a tiny number of the images I take every summer!!!

Rhodesia said...

Lovely post and the ant just adds to it. Have a good Sunday. Diane

grammie g said...

Hi Denise...A lovely plant the Queen Ann's Lace, and you have some lovely shot's and macro ones too!!
Love the tales of which do we believe or if any, but I like the drop of blood, because of that spot in the middle which always fascinates me!!
I tried to get some photos of them the other day, the wind was blowing like crazy, so it was feat in in it's self!! : )
Have a lovely weekend
Grace

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Fascinating background story Denise! and the macros were brilliant!
Have a lovely weekend.

Christine K. said...

very beautiful macros of the wildflower with the ant!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Queen Anne's Lace is such a lovely, delicate flower -- you've captured that in your photos. And the bug! Looks ant-like -- it's amazing to see it up close like that!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful post in so many ways. Great story of Queen Anne's lace (I love visiting blogs, it is such a wonderful and painless way to learn!)

Your pictures are wonderful -- I love wildflowers and can imagine how charmed you were to see so many on your drive.

And your macros are incredible! That ant's about to crawl off the flower and into my lap I'm sure!

Rose said...

Your macro shots really show how exquisite Queen Anne's Lace is.

Luna Miranda said...

i love legends, it's much more dramatic.:p your macros are beautiful--Queen Anne's Lace looks so dainty and elegant. reminds of me English heroines i've read in my teens.:p

Leave It To Davis said...

Wonderful, amazing photos! Love that macro!

Indrani said...

Those ants are having a great time! great macros.

MJ said...

You did such a nice job on your macro shot. I would give my left arm for a lens such as that. Or just for a nice camera, really. Beautiful photos!!

Self Sagacity said...

Looks like millions of diamonds in white for a quick second. :-)

Gunilla Bäck said...

Lovely shots of this pretty flower.

Charlene said...

I love Queen Anne's lace! Your photos are gorgeous, especially the macros.

Julie Hargreaves said...

Very pretty flowers

Vilt og vakkert said...

Heisann Denise!

What a wonderful story and delicious flower, wonder what it is called in Norwegian! I will find out, because it is a few other plants that looks almost the same!

Vilt og vakkert said...

Hey again, look at this blog http://norskneedlework.blogspot.no/2012/02/norsk-needlework-new-shetland-pattern.html

and now I know the Norwegian name "vill gulerot", we eat carrot, not wild, almost every day, but the flower is unknown to me.....

Valerie said...

What delicate flowers Denise, and so aptly named! Great macro of the ant/s. Thank you for hosting. Wishing you a wonderful week.

Sandy Carlson said...

This lace is very beautiful!

Deborah said...

First, I want to thank you for visiting and commenting on my site, Denise ... so very appreciated! And I see what you mean, those hibiscus do look like crepe paper! :)

Queen Anne's Lace is one wildflower I search for in the many fields out in the country. This year, there was not an 'abundance', but I did manage to capture a few, and I had posted about it myself ... they are timeless, and so beautiful! The macro images are great! Thanks for sharing a bit of history along with these! Have a wonderful week! - Deborah

Our photos said...

Beautiful wildflower photos!

NatureFootstep said...

white flowers can be hard t ocatch. You did gret with these. And the ant too. .)

Debbie said...

looks like your practice has paid off, they are so pretty!!

and that ant, what an awesome catch!!

Pat said...

Fantastic macros!

Jana Last said...

Oh, what lovely dainty flowers! Great photos Denise!