Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Rambles....


We stuck close to home over the weekend but last week I met up with friends, chatted to my family and friends on the phone and Skype, ran a few errands and Gregg joined our son for breakfast when I was out for the day.  One time we went into Middleburg to have a late lunch/early dinner at our favorite sandwich shop and had a nice drive around.  I saw a beautiful Red Fox standing in the middle of a wide open field about half way.  He was as still as a statue staring off into the distance.  We were well passed before I thought about taking a photo, and the traffic was building up on the main road, it would have been difficult to stop.  He was a wonderful sight and this will be one of those times I will remember with my mind's eye and not with a photograph.

We are having our steps fixed out front.  Our house is on an incline and the ground had settled to the point that the last one was like launching off into space.  We have watched as a lot of our neighbors had the same problem and had theirs fixed.  We are one of the last ones to have it done.   The original step was very high and gave us all a hard time getting up and down.  We found a really nice chap who knows what he is doing and we now are half way to getting our extra step, and won't be fearful of anyone twisting knees and ankles when they leave the house or have to come to the front door.

I haven't been making any new recipes lately.  In the warmer weather all we seem to want are salads, salads and salads, and definitely something easy enough to throw together when we've been out all day, anything to stop having to put a hot oven on for any length of time - no we don't barbecue, never really got into it.  We have cooked fish but it only takes about 12 minutes to grill or saute on the stove top. We both enjoy flounder and have also used it for fish taco's.  Now Gregg is retired and has the time, he likes to help with the meal which is nice and if he sees something on TV on the food channel, he'll incorporate the technique into cooking. He is more adventurous than I am.  I usually follow the recipe word by word.  I saw a dish when I visited Beatrice and Grenville's blog, The Frog and PenguINN here, and am going to give it a try.  I think it is time to get the crock-pot out again.  .

While we are on the topic of food, I thought I would tell you about the Thai Restaurant in Williamsburg where we had dinner last Tuesday.  It was called the Bangkok Garden and when we walked inside we were struck by how authentic it felt, and was probably one of the prettiest we have ever seen.  As it was quiet I didn't think anyone would mind if I took a few shots, though I asked permission first.  We arrived before the dinner crowd and by the time we left it was packed.  Their website can be found here and if you find yourself in Williamsburg, Virginia and enjoy Thai food, we can recommend it highly.  Here are a few photos taken that day.








I didn't want to use the flash inside so the photos are a little dark and were taken with my cell phone.  This is Gregg's dish.  He ordered the Green Curry with Chicken....


and I ordered my usual Drunken Noodles.  We both ordered the Tom Kha soup which had a different taste to the one we are used to up north but still delicious, just different.  In fact, all the dishes were different in taste but oh my gosh, they were so good!  We couldn't eat all of it, only half.  Normally we would have taken home the rest for the next day but we were in a hotel that night so had to leave what was left with regrets.


There was a huge Crepe Myrtle Tree in the parking lot.  It had rained heavily while we were in the restaurant but held off long enough for us to walk to our car and back to the hotel.  


That's about it for the rambles for today.

24 comments:

  1. love the start and finish photos of the beautiful flowering crepe-myrtle, such a big one. Lovely to have meals out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Tai Restaurant looks nice and the food sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful outing


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the crepe myrtle. Such beautiful trees.
    And, I am late to the party, but congratulations to Greg on his retirement. I am sure that you will have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, I think it is fun trying to new recipes. I watch the food network sometimes and I try their recipes. Sounds like you had a nice week and meeting up with your son. Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's mid morning here in the UK and you've made me hungry! :-) I love Thai food. Really, really do. Many thanks for the beautiful photos.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rambles, Denise. What a pity you couldn't take a shot of the fox. I'm going now to visit the site you linked to... I need a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are fortunate in finding a good tradesman these days as those in the building trades can be a tad unreliable.
    I'd love to have seen that red fox and what a pity you didn't get a photo...those are the breaks I guess.
    Do you know we've never been to a Thai restaurant but do enjoy Chinese food. I am a little more adventurous than my other half so not sure we ever will try it.
    That tree is glorious. I am not sure they grow well here in Western Australia. Lilac grows OK but only in the deep south of our state.
    You mention salads. We have had up to 3 months of days all above 30ºC and salads are usually the order of the day nearly every day. Even with ducted airconditioning one just doesn't feel too much like cooking hot meals. Do enjoy your warm summer while it lasts.
    I do so enjoy your posts and must remember to visit more often. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are amazing cell phone shots Denise. Your "eats" look yummy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish looks so yummy! I like Thai's food..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful tree! I've never seen one ,but if I ever do I hope I remember it's name.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the crape myrtles. good luck with the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a great restaurant, Denise...and I love the photos and display of their food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's one of the largest crepe myrtle trees I've seen. The restaurant really looks nice. We plan to go to Williamsburg next month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Thai food but there are no restaurants anywhere close to us here in France. If I want Thai I have to cook it! That tree is magnificent. Hope your week is a good one Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! The food looks fabulous. The soup looks too much like something I had one Mother's Day. There was a red pepper in it that nearly made me drop to my knees because it was so hot. I do love Pad Thai though. I'm so glad you're enjoying Gregg's retirement so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. great outing and was wonderful meeting up with your son

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous crepe-myrtle....and just so happens to be one of my favorite colors ;)

    when i googled it, it can be spelled crepe or crape...i didn't know how to spell it at all!!

    looks like a cute eatery!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes a good blog chat is just the thing. It's as good as have a conversation over a fence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos - I especially like the Crepe Myrtle Tree - I had no idea they grew to that size - the ones I have planted have only been large shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Thai cuisine, too, having lived in Thailand back in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pink sprinkles on the ground from the crepe myrtle.

    The restaurant is so pretty and the food looks wonderful.

    Glad you were able to get the step problem corrected.

    Have a nice week. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our crepe myrtle trees are in full bloom alongside our home, but thenpitynis they are ALL white flowering. Wish we had some colorful ones like those in your post. Thanks for the link back to our recipe. It's so easy and delicious. There is a single Thai restaurant in our area with delicious food. We have 3 Chine eateries, however.

    ReplyDelete