Friday, August 16, 2013

Camera Critters

Another sweet little thing we came across on a ride in the country.  I am no expert and please correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is a miniature Mediterranean donkey.  I did a lot of research online and this was the closest to other photos I saw.  I hung around quite a while waiting for him to look up so that I could get a better picture, but he was too interested in munching on all that sweet grass.  He sure was cute!




Miniature donkeys are their own breed and have not been bred down to this size, and is not just a small version of a full-sized donkey.  They originated in the Mediterranean islands of Sicily and Sardinia.




Male donkeys are called "jacks" and females are called "jennets" or "jennies".  Baby donkeys are called "foals", just like those of a horse.



They were imported into America in 1929 by Mr. Robert Green.  He is quoted as saying, "Miniature donkeys possess the affectionate nature of a New Foundland, the resignation of a cow, the durability of a mule, the courage of a tiger and the intellectual capability only slightly inferior to man's".  


They have been mixed with other small donkeys to become what is known today as the Miniature Mediterranean Donkey. 



They are considered to be without doubt the most charming, sweet-natured and affectionate animals on earth.  They are intelligent, easy-going and easily trained, and become very attached to their owners and to other donkeys they live with.  They make wonderful pets for both young and old.




It is also important to note that they are social animals and need company as they will pine if they are left on their own.  This sweet little donkey was in a field with several goats, which I will be sharing with you in next week's Camera Critter post.

~~~~~~~

Thank you Misty for hosting one of my favorite memes, and please click here to visit other interesting critters from all over the world.

Camera Critters

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Denise, what a cute donkey! I just love all the animals. Thanks for sharing the info on the miniature donkeys. Wonderful photos!

TexWisGirl said...

so very cute! glad he has companions!

Country Gal said...

Oh I want one ! I love mini Donkeys . Awesome photos and post ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Linda said...

How delightful, Denise! I absolutely love donkeys...always have. You capture the "cross" on this one's back beautifully.!

gigihawaii said...

How sweet and cute! Love these photos.

RoeH said...

Awwwwwww.....what a cutie!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh he is so sweet! I want one (or two, I guess). Except I think even this tiny pet would be too big for our tiny houses! Oh well. Thanks for sharing this adorable little guy.

Leave It To Davis said...

I WANT ONE!!!! He's so CUTE!!!

Elephant's Child said...

Soooo cute.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! He really is beautiful and definitely CUTE! I love that pattern on his back.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise... Hee-haw hee-haw it's Dominic the Donkey...hee-haw hee-haw the Italian Christmas Donkey.....
Crazy the think that come to mind !! Do you know that song LOL!!
What ever it is it is adorable!!
Grace

acreativeharbor.com said...

wonderful photos and so adorable and very informative post ~ thanks, carol, xo

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful shots af the adorable donkey!