Friday, August 2, 2013

CAMERA CRITTERS - BEAR IN THE SHENANDOAHS

This is one of the three bears we saw on our drive up to the Shenandoahs just over a week ago, and the only one I was able to get photos of.   We were in our car behind two other cars that had stopped on a narrow road.  I was on the passenger side.  The bear was deep in the woods foraging.   


The link here will take you to the park's home page where it gives information about the bear and here it tells you how to stay safe around them.


We were surprised to see three bear sightings this day, and one family told us they had seen a mother bear with her cubs.  The blackberries are abundant (and probably a lot of other enjoyable foods they enjoy feasting on).  Last weekend was the Blackberry Festival.  The bears were out and about feasting on those blackberries I'm sure of it.   


If you look here it will take you to a video by Larry W. Brown, a marvelous wildlife photographer who came across another mother bear with her cubs feasting on those blackberries.   


Larry can also be found on twitter where he shares his wildlife photos.  


~~~~~~~

Thank you Misty for hosting one of my favorite memes, and please click here to visit other interesting critters from all over the world.

Camera Critters

26 comments:

  1. an awesome sighting! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes incredible creatures but I doubt I would want to be out there nearby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sighting ! I remember being met by one of these creatures when I was camping years ago way up north in bear country on my way out of the out house YIKES!! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, cool sighting of the bear. I love Shenandoah and the bears. Thanks for sharing the links! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos, Denise! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bears sure look like my brother Bogart who passed away...

    Keeper is sick, Denise.
    Please pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty good shooting Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just plain dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought we had many bear sightings here in the Smokies, but we have also seen bears each time we've driven along Skyline Drive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how we love driving in the Shenandoahs... We saw a Mama Bear and 3 babies when we were on Skyline Drive one time... SO NEAT....

    You got some great photos of the bear.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely to be able to observe them doing what bears do and going about their business. Thanks for the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh it's always exciting to see a bear, and to get pics is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you stayed safe in your car, Denise. Those bears are cute, but I've heard stories...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seeing a bear in the wild is a 'time stands still' moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing these shots. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky you to have spotted the bear! I imagine you preferred to stay in the car rather than get out to take more pics of the other bears!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got some wonderful photos of the little fellow. I love seeing bears in the wild. Every where else we have lived I would see them sometimes but here it is very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What cool sightings. Nice captures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Denise... They are wonderful creatures as long as they keep there distance!! haha
    I grow up in the country on a dirt road in Aroostock county Maine where there was black bears in the backyard, running across the dirt road in front of cars, and sometimes when my sister and I walked to my aunt's house!!
    Our screams would scare any bear in to hiding after hearing us!! LOL
    We also watched Momma and the cubs eat wild strawberries in the field from our bedroom window!! OKay enough of that!!
    The video of them eating berries was fantastic!!
    Your shot's where a good catch,and not easy I bet!!
    Grace
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful! I have only seen one in the wild in the Smokey Mts. many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a beautiful view in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How awesome! I've never seen a bear in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's great! I would love to photograph a bear in nature!
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  24. He's a beauty! That's how I would like to see a bear, from the safety of a car. :-)
    Don't be a Hippie

    ReplyDelete
  25. What luck to come across three bears on one journey! What a change it was for you when you first left the UK and found yourself in a land where bears roamed free, after nothing more sizeable than a badger here!

    The video is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete