Tuesday, August 27, 2013

13th day away from home (August 22nd, 2013)


Gregg and  I woke up before 5.00 a.m. this morning so that we could go up to the Arches National Park for sunrise.  The link to the park can be found here.

When we got to the parking lot another car pulled in to our right, and we met two couples who accompanied us along the trail to get to the arch.  We smiled and said hello but after that we concentrated on the climb.  No one was talking on that climb.  It was all uphill and we certainly got our exercise that morning.



We had the best seat in the house and  reached the arch before 100 people joined us from two tour buses.  Gregg was surprised how fast I moved but as I looked behind me I could see a whole lot of people now making their way, all pouring out of the buses and seen in the distance like an army of ants swarming up the trail.  It spurred me on as if we couldn't have our solitude, at least we would have our front row seats.  Once again Gregg was surprised how fast I got up there but that sunrise was calling to me, and I wanted to be able to see it without having to crane my neck.  The dawn light was already beginning to show and when we got to the top Gregg felt like doing a Rocky pose.  I've never seen him do that before!


We were surprised at the amount of people as when we had done this a few years back and hopefully not sounding too greedy, we had the place all to ourselves.  This particular arch isn't even on the list for the best sunrises.  The Arches has become extremely popular.  Gregg was told earlier by a lady at our hotel that 3,000 people visit the park each day now, a million people a year.  He was also told that August is usually a slow month but this August was cooler than in the past with temperatures in the low 90's.  Normally people flock here in September.










A strange thing happened once the sun rose, all those people I told you about didn't stay and all made their way back to their buses.  I guess they had another stop on their itinerary.  They disappeared as quickly as they appeared.  Gregg and I hung around for a while, along with a few other people.  The young man below was trying to encourage his girlfriend to join him.  She followed him eventually, as did two others, all laughing quite happily as they slipped and slid down the rock.


In this picture you can make out the shadow of the arch.


Another arch not too far from the other.


I took a lot more photos here but will do another post eventually.

Afterwards we went into the town and had breakfast, and then went back to the hotel.

At 9.54 a.m. and 3,637 miles away from home, we are leaving on our third morning having enjoyed spending more time in Moab.  The National Arches Park is my all-time favorite,  next to Yellowstone. Hopefully, we will be back one day.

23 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I would imagine it was quite a moving experience.
Jane x

Kerri Farley said...

You are having quite an adventure my friend! Thank you for sharing it with us!!!

Valerie said...

"before 5.00 a.m. this morning so that we could go up to the Arches National Park for sunrise"

That's real dedication to nature, Denise, but worth it.

TexWisGirl said...

really neat place.

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

Whow, I hope the crowd was at least somewhat quiet...maybe whispering? Unlikely I know. Too bad such a place of reverence was spoiled. My favorite shot is that arch shadow out across the landscape. Thanks so much for taking the time to journal, and sharing it with perfect stranger me.

Don Wood said...

Great Pics Denise I like to think of Gregg as Rambo Atta Boy Way to Go.
I recon you will return a few more times yet I always go back to the places I love. XXX have a good time XXX Don

gigihawaii said...

Wow, you guys are such hardy people. I guess my open toe sandals would not be ideal for those rocks. I am proud of you, Denise. What a spectacular sunrise. Have you seen the sunrise at Mt. Haleakala on Maui? That is popular among Hawaiian tourists.

Betsy Adams said...

Getting to the Arches at sunrise has to be awesome. We did not have a good experience there --so we'll have to go back. What arch were you seeing? We saw a bunch of arches that day --and have the names written down somewhere...

Anyhow---we went there in June (will never go in the hot summer again) and there were a zillion people and tour buses.. YUK... Just not much fun for us--even though we did get good photos.

Glad you loved it...
Hugs,
Betsy

Linda said...

Great photos, Denise!!! I haven't yet got the talent for night shots.

Debbie said...

i am having such a great time following along...your images are magical!!

Elephant's Child said...

Sunrise is my most favourite time of day - and thank you so much for this beauty.

eileeninmd said...

Hi Denise, wonderful photos from your early morning Arches visit. The sunrise looks beautiful. I loved all the parks out west. So different from our usual Shenandoah! Have a great evening and week ahead. Safe Travels!

Linda Gross said...

The magic hour makes for beautiful photography; lovely pictures Denise! I think I would be like you. The sunrise would call to me, and I would walk / climb faster. I'm glad you had front row seats.

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos ! When I read that there was bus loads of people arriving I thought to myself oh crap I hope they go another route from you so you can enjoy the sunrise in peace and quiet lol ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

Adam said...

what a view

Kay said...

It was my favorite on our road trip too. I loved your idea of going to see it at sunrise! Darn! I wish we could have done that. As it was, it was super hot and no way we could have done any sort of climb. I love the Rocky pose. Yae, Gregg! And YAE you for making that climb!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Arches and Canyonlands and Moab are all beautiful....we love it there! But I've never done that sunrise walk...would love to (but would have to do it alone or find a new husband ;>)...Bill is not a morning person).

Linda said...

Getting up at such an early hour and with that climb was well worth it Denise! It must have been a wonderful experience to see a sunrise in that place in the Arches. Hope your taking it steady to compensate for that early start on that day. Looking forward to more pics and news very soon!

diane b said...

What a great experience. Too bad about all the people but at least you were there before all of them. Well done for doing a speedy climb. Great pis of the sun rise and relaxed Gregg.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm glad you were there to capture the Rocky Moment.

I'm glad you got their ahead of the crowds and got the pics for us.

I'll never be a bus tour person. I like to stay and linger and hate being rushed.

Leave It To Davis said...

You are a brave woman! I would have been thinking "snake, snake" all the way up. That's the reason I am here and the reason you are there. I admire your bravery!

Kathie Brown said...

Denise, like you, I do not enjoy the crowds! I have only been to this park once and that was in January! We practically did have the park to ourselves but it was sooooo cold! we took our daughter here for her 18th birthday! Lovely pictures!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I am enjoying your travels to so many places I have always wanted to visit.