Saturday, August 24, 2013

11th day away from home (August 20th, 2013) - part 1

We left the hotel at 9.45 a.m. Last night we spent the night in Kanab, Utah.  We have traveled 3079 miles so far.  Our hotel has a western theme, the door knobs and handles in the room were silver stars like the old time sheriff's badge you see in Westerns and the artwork on the wall were photos of cowboys, cowboy boots, spurs, that kind of thing.  I liked it it and our room was once again very comfortable and the staff very friendly.  I tried to get myself out of the reflection below but you can see me squinting!


We are heading for Zion National Park but first I would like to tell you about this very interesting morning we had before we even left Kanab.  As we usually do after reaching a place in the evening, we like to spend some time the following morning looking around.

We found the Little Hollywood Movie Set Museum which we stumbled upon after stopping to take a look when we saw the sign 'museum'.   Their link is here.  You can also look here for another article on the place.


There were fun western statues outside and that drew our attention also.




When you go through the doors there is a shop full of gift items, clothing, cowboy hats, belts with big buckles, western shirts, boots, postcards and you know I bought a few of those.  There is Turquoise jewelry and a lot more.  Enough to keep you busy browsing for quite a while.

We were told that the museum was through 'that door'.  It is free admission but as you entered there was one of those plastic boxes full of money, and a sign reading on top saying 'donations'.  You just put whatever cash you felt like putting in.   And so we stepped through the door and what a lovely surprise.  It was like stepping into an old Western frontier town.  These were actually sets for old movies.  A lot of Hollywood westerns for both the movies and TV series were filmed on these old sets; Stagecoach, the Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Daniel Boone, El Dorado,  The Outlaw Josey Wales, Sergeants 3, and even though I don't think the following movie is in the western theme, Planet of the Apes.

Here are a few of the photos taken.  In the first photo Gregg was a guest in the local jail for a while.  He wasn't too happy with his cell mate.








Thank you nice fellow tourist who took this picture for us.




We also visited Boot Hill and on reading the headstones we were on our best behavior.

"Two Gun Ray, he was slow that day."


Here lies Mick, shot for singing too loud in church.


I took a lot more photos and I'll be sharing another post about this place and also about the town of Kanab, but probably not until we get home.

It has jumped 42 degrees, from 50 to 92 degrees in three hours.  

Well, I've seen it all now, at 12.13 p.m. when we were on the road I saw a cowboy taking pictures with his iPad.  He was standing at the side of his car and taking a photo of the beautiful scenery.  On this trip I have seen a lot of people using an iPad for photos.  I do it myself.  I'm very happy with the results, though I haven't used the zoom feature on it. 

21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Denise, what a fun museum. I loved all the photos of you and Gregg! And the statues are cool. A very enjoyable trip, thanks for taking me along. Have a great day!

jabblog said...

That looks such an interesting place. The heat sounds tremendous - is it dry heat?

Gert Jan Hermus said...

:-)
Very nice. Looks like you had a great day ;-)

Greetings from the Netherlands,
dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Funny, nice museum. I love serendipity.

Jane and Chris said...

Gregg looks happier as a cowboy than as a criminal!
Jane x

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Fascinating post and I am enjoying your travels. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep well Diane

Minoru Saito said...

Hi! Nice vacation for you and your husband. I enjoyed your photos very much. And Nice lotus flower captures in a Japanese garden.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Linda said...

This is so cool, Denise! I have never seen a museum like this before. Looks like a great time! I hope that the heat is dry...and not humid.

TexWisGirl said...

the magic of westerns. :)

gigihawaii said...

That museum looked like a lot of fun. Loved the photo of you and Gregg behind the cut outs for your faces. Lol. So cute!

Jan said...

What a delightful museum. We do it different in the West! I've been enjoying your post about the trip, but have been negligent about posting.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise... You two make a wonderful Western pioneer couple haha!!
Wouldn't you have loved to have to wear that getup in hot weather lol!

I bet Gregg hopes that the last time he is in jail!!

"Poor Mick" ; )
Grace

schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

Hot and Dry climate? That saddle and tacking look very sad as if their owner went to Boot Hill years ago. I am reading about mummies in a similar climate in western China. I wonder if there are a few mummies around you? Good thing Halloween is far away.

Are you going to the Morman Tabernacle in Salt Lake City? Swimming in the Salt Lake? Dianne

Elephant's Child said...

Love it. Thank you.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Fun fun -- your husband seems like a good sport:)

Daniel LaFrance said...

I was thinking of many of the Western movies I saw when I was but a youngster.

The most recent that comes to mind... well sort of... City Slickers. lol

Continued good travels!

Mimsie said...

Another wonderful and interesting post of your travels. I am so enjoying seeing everything through your eyes. Particularly loved the Indian.

George said...

We also saw this museum while we were in Kanab. I have a first generation iPad, so I can't take pictures, but I have seen many people using iPads as cameras.

Leave It To Davis said...

I love places like that! You are meeting such nice people! It must be because you and your hubby look so nice.

Lui said...

Haha, totally wild this adventure, Denise! Greg in jail was too hilarious!

These trips really bring out the best in you and Greg!!!

diane b said...

You might have guessed I am catching up with your posts and reading them backwards. We have been busy this week with our daughter visiting from Sydney. When our tour bus pulled into Kanab we went to the museum, not sure if it is this one. We were given western clothes and roles in a movie and we had to pretend we were making a western movie we had loads of fun.