Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Williamsburg, VA - Part 5

This is the last post on Williamsburg, until our next trip there.


Below is the Bowden-Armistead house built in the 19th century.  It is privately owned and not open to the public.


I don't know much about each home but there is a link here to many of the historical homes in the town.  


This is the spire of the Bruton Parish Church.  It is one of the oldest Episcopalian churches in America,  and has been open for services since 1715.





The building above and below is the Raleigh Tavern established in 1717, named for Sir Walter Raleigh.   It was destroyed by fire in 1859 but rebuilt and dedicated in 1931.  You can read more about this building here.  (A bit of personal trivia: Sir Walter Raleigh's half-brother, Sir Humphry Gilbert,  lived in Compton Castle - its history found here - which was also the name of the village next to the one I lived in (Marldon) before I met Gregg.  My Dad occasionally worked with one of Humphry Gilbert's descendants, a Q.C. Dad had contact with through his job.  They had a great deal of respect for each other and this gentleman attended my Dad's funeral.  Knowing my Dad he would probably have been surprised but happy he did that.  I also remember him saying such nice things about my Dad and I will always be thankful to him for being so kind.  If you go here you can see a video on Compton Castle.  It also shows the church where Gregg and I were married.  It is the first church shared in the video after the tour around Compton Castle.  

And now back to Williamsburg).


Hanging outside one of the stores.


This young man was closing the building for the day......


but he was happy to pose for Gregg's camera.


This lady was chatting to tourists.


This young lady was in my Part 4 post......


as was this one who was in the same photo as the lady above.


She was very happy to pose with me for a photograph.  I really liked her hat, her whole outfit actually.


We came across a structure where you could buy a few things to take home.













and I wasn't going to get the hat but Gregg saw me looking at it and insisted on buying it for me.


The gardens here were wonderful but we didn't really have a lot of time to look around them.  We will be back.


There were a lot of bees enjoying the flowers.


I also spotted an interesting looking bug on the sunflowers.


besides the bee that is.





It was a June bug.


The butterflies loved these flowers.  I must have counted a dozen or more but here are two.






One last house before the heavens opened and it rained like the dickens.


We had a great time looking around Williamsburg and we look forward to our next visit.

29 comments:

Ranita Sinha said...

Wonderful photographs along with a perfect narration..liked the post very much..liked the dress of the young man and the lady in blue..

gigihawaii said...

I love those hats-- especially the one that Gregg bought for you.

Leave It To Davis said...

Very interesting history....and to have some relatives loosely tied is pretty darn neat! Love the flowers and butterflies! You should have taken a picture with your hat on!

Jana Last said...

Oh, these are wonderful photos! What an amazing place to visit. I've never been there. I'm glad you were able to have one of those splendid hats!

Cloudia said...

Delightful!


ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3
> < } } ( ° >

Mimsie said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful adventure. When I see historical homes it always makes me realise how 'young' our country (Australia) is when it comes to European settlement.
I am so glad Gregg bought you that hat and I am sure there will be enough summer days for you to enjoy wearing it.
Loved those sunflowers....and the bee too.

Margaret Adamson said...

These 5 post have been very interesting, informative and the photos have been great. I love the people in their costumes, good shots of the beed and bug,never sseen that bug before, loved te hat adn Gregg was right to buy you one, you will look lovley in it.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, lovely tour of Williamsburg. The flowers and butterflies are beautiful and I like you new hat. Wonderful shots from your trip! Have a happy day!

Stewart M said...

Classic looking buildings - they dont make them like that any more!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Fantastic post. That young lad looks very short or was the doorway very large? Your historic buildings are so different to what we see here but very beautiful in a different way. Your insect photos are excellent. Well done. Have a good day Diane

Valerie said...

I was going to ask if you bought a hat but I then saw that you did. Love all the pictures, Denise. The style of houses and the church fascinate me, it's like dropping into a history lesson.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have only visited once, but enjoyed your photo tour, Denise. And, the hat was a lovely and useful souvenir.

Jane and Chris said...

What an absolutely fabulous place!
Jane x
PS I would have come home with (at least)one hat!

TexWisGirl said...

so funny - when i saw the booth i said - she should buy a hat! :)

Linda Gross said...

One visit to Colonial Williamsburg is never enough! Enjoyed your posts about Williamsburg.

Carole M. said...

make good use of that sun-hat Denise; great when out taking photos; I love hats. Great dwellings; how special to go see these; enjoyed your post

MJ said...

What a neat place. I wouldn't hesitate to work in a place like that, it would be so awesome to wear those neat costumes. I like that hat, I would be happy to wear it on these hot sunny days we are having. Again, a very enjoyable post indeed!♥

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

This is enjoyable. My late parents honeymooned in Williamsburg. (1945!)
Yes, you should have a hat photo!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

Adam said...

pretty sunflowers

Tanya Breese said...

williamsburg is one of my favorite places! great photos!

Karen said...

Oh what a lovely tour Denise! Love the hat too!

Kerri Farley said...

How Fun! and of course I LOVE your flutter bys!

Diane AZ said...

I really enjoyed your posts about Williamsburg, a place I'd love to visit. Thank you for your wonderful tour! :)

Betsy Adams said...

We love Williamsburg and hope to go back there soon. I have some Family History there --and want to do some Genealogy at Bruton Parish... Can't wait!!!!

Great photos...
Hugs,
Betsy

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I would love to visit Williamsburg, it looks like an amazing place where the present day and history mingle graciously together.

Andrew Fulton said...

A wonderful post... many thanks for sharing.

Kay said...

What a great guy, Gregg is! I thought you'd show us a photo of you wearing that hat he got you.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your guests are going to have expert guides for their Williamsburg experience! Enjoyed the link back to your history too.

Linda said...

A very interesting post, Denise. The folk dressed in costume must have added a 'days gone by' atmosphere. Love the butterflies and glad you had such a good time before it started to rain. Also enjoyed seeing where you got married on the video. What a wonderful part of England to have been brought up in!